GPS Question

Okay, I hope this is in the right place. If it isn't I apolizize to any Mods/Admins.

Anyways, on to my question.

We (the It's Elementary! team) are fairly new to this wonderful sport you people call Gecaching. We think we have the basic idea and have already found four caches. But this is no thanks whatsoever to our GPS, we have a Magellan SporTrak Map practically brand new. And it get's us close to the cache, but it never says we're right next to it, the distance bounces around unprectibly, we know that the direction arrow, is supoosed to be a little inacurate in tree-cover, but we are unaware of the distance doing so.

Furthermore, whenever we are right next to the cache, the GPS usually settles on a distance between 28 and 41 feet away.

Any help in solving this problem will be greatly appreciated.

quote:

Furthermore, whenever we are right next to the cache, the GPS usually settles on a distance between 28 and 41 feet away.

These distances are typical of the accuracy of a recreational GPSr of 10 to 15 metres. The GPSr will get you close but you can't expect it to be right on. Centimetre level accuracy survey units cost $10K plus.

PDOP's GPS Pages

Sort of on the theme of your other replies...."sort of". <smile>

When I placed my first cache I was SOOOO deligent in getting PERFECT coordinates...as if "perfect" was achievable.

Now....pfffft. REally! Yes, I do as well as I can but "in the area" is MORE than good enough.

In 'geocaching' terms I am a novice with barely 100 finds....yet in all of those only ONE did my GPS show "dead on" positioning. I have found a few nearing 60 feet in distance from where my GPS said it was. I'm sure others will take this opportunity to say, "60 FT? I walked through 2' feet of sn....I mean.....I was 3,497 feet away".

That's the fun, when you think of it. "Finding" is the key. - JamesJM

The behavior you're noticed is just the nature of GPS. What I do is get a good signal with a steady direction and distance, and then pace off to the location. If you do this from two or three different directions into the area of the cache, it's referred to as 'triangulating' and will get you very close most times.

I've been around those backpack Trimple units that are absolutely dead on. Not only do these units cost way over $10,000, they are effective because they measure locations from known-position ground stations, not from orbiting satellites.

Best Wishes,

Bob

quote:
Originally posted by Bobthearch:

I've been around those backpack Trimple units that are absolutely dead on. Not only do these units cost way over $10,000, they are effective because they measure locations from known-position ground stations, not from orbiting satellites.

Bob

Actually they measure the errors ocurring at the known position stations and use that to correct the satellite signal errors for the roving GPSr. They do still use the signals from the orbiting GPS satellites.

PDOP's GPS Pages