Cheap Car Mount

I've been doing a lot of shopping for a car mount and had trouble parting with $30-$50 for a piece of plastic. So I've been searching the PDA and Phone Isles at all the local electronics stores. I've found a very good alternative for the ETrex series.

It was at the local CompUsa in the car phone section. It is called the Techno Defender and is a handsfree car phone unit. The holder is completely adustable and the buttons are not obstructed on the GPS unit. It plugs into the cig lighter with two fully adustable extensions. It is perfect for my Ford F150. You get the extra car phone stuff but for $14.99 you can't beat it!

Bought one from Best Buy several months ago and used it one time on a long trip. When I went to remove it from the lighter-the plug end came apart and blew a fuse. So for about 4 hours we had no radio, cd player or dash light. Replaced the fuse and returned the item to Best Buy. Would have been a lot less of a hassle and loss of time if I just went ahead and spent $35.00 for the right set up. However it was a different brand from the one you purchased.

I found the Garmin dashboard adhesive mount at a local sporting goods store for US$30 and it works great with my vista. It secures my vista while driving, positioned to allow reasonable signal reception, and is easy to view the screen while driving. I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by DARC on June 04, 2002 at 12:06 PM.]

I found the Garmin dashboard adhesive mount at a local sporting goods store for US$30 and it works great with my vista. It secures my vista while driving, positioned to allow reasonable signal reception, and is easy to view the screen while driving. I like it. icon_biggrin.gif

[This message was edited by DARC on June 04, 2002 at 12:06 PM.]

I'd recommend going with a good quality mount. I had a garmin suction cup car mount for my eMap and it was horrible. The suction cup had a lot of issues with glass. It never would stick correctly.

When I got my GPSMAP76 I got a RAM mount and it was worth the price. It's an outstanding mount and I've never had a bit of problem with it. It's been stuck to the windshield just over our inspection sticker for many months and freezing and hot weather.

Dont know if this will work for everyone, but I just stopped by Target tonight to get a cell phone belt clip. It comes with an adhesive nob that would stick on almost any hand-held gps. it also comes with an adhesive receiver that will stick on a dash, rear view mirror, whatever you can find in your car. The receiver is about the size of a quarter - the adhesive is VERY sticky. I've had one stuck to my dash for my cell phone for some time and that sucker is not going anywhere. Now I can stick my GPSr (I have a meridian platinum) on my dash or let it swing from my belt -- HOW SWEET!!! especially for $5.99

Just an idea

quote:
Originally posted by avaloncourt:

When I got my GPSMAP76 I got a RAM mount and it was worth the price. It's an outstanding mount and I've never had a bit of problem with it.

avaloncourt... i have the GPSMAP76S and am looking for a good mount. what is the model number of the ram mount you purchased?

thanks for any info

----------------------------------------------------------

sigLINE

My wife had a Samsonite universal mount ($19.99 at Target) for her cell phone. I'm trying it right now for a trip with my eMap since my newly ordered RAM mount has not arrived yet, and I'm amazed what a perfect fit it is.

It's the perfect size and design for an eMap with or without power cord, disengages with the push of a button, engages with a one-handed squeeze, and looks very streamlined and elegant (or as elegant as a sunction cup on your windshield can look).

I don't know how strong the suction hold is with the weight of an eMap, but since I position it to rest on the dash, I doubt I'll have a problem.

If it serves me well on this trip, I may just return my RAM mount as soon as I get it.

quote:
Originally posted by redruff:

I've been doing a lot of shopping for a car mount and had trouble parting with $30-$50 for a piece of plastic. So I've been searching the PDA and Phone Isles at all the local electronics stores. I've found a very good alternative for the ETrex series.

It was at the local CompUsa in the car phone section. It is called the Techno Defender and is a handsfree car phone unit. The holder is completely adustable and the buttons are not obstructed on the GPS unit. It plugs into the cig lighter with two fully adustable extensions. It is perfect for my Ford F150. You get the extra car phone stuff but for $14.99 you can't beat it!

I love the dash mount for the GPS V.

I have learned the "long shaft locking knob" is fully deteachable.

Unfortunately, I don't know where I was when I learned this. Anyone know where I can buy just that piece? Or a workable substitute?

Thanks

PS: Did anyone else use the "temporary" mounting sticky pad? Mine ended up in a sticky ball

If you want to go really cheap, you can get the velcro strips with the adhesive backs. Cut it to fit, then stick one piece on your dash and one on the back of your GPSr and you are good to go. It doesn't take a large piece to hold up the weight of the receiver and the adhesive seems to work pretty well. Costs about 25 cents.

"You cannot shake hands with a closed fist" - Indira Ghandi

"The best time to sucker punch someone is when they are trying to shake your hand" - Me