etrex blowing fuses

The Capt.

I have a etrex Vista that has been blowing fuses in my vehicle. In fact, it has done it in 4 different cars. It blows the fuse in the car, not the in-line fuse of the power cord.

I've read through several pages of this discussion board to see if anyone had a related problem but missed it if anyone posted.

Is this a unique problem? The cord? The fuse? The GPS? The user?!?

~the capt.

Sounds more like the car adaptor cord than your gpsr. If it were the gpsr I think that the fuse in the power adaptor cord would blow before the auto fuse would. What's the rating of the 2 fuses? If your gpsr is causing the problem then the lower of the two will go first. My thought is that the adaptor has a lower rated fuse than the car indicating that the problem is in the adaptor before its fuse.

I'm not lost!

I just don't know where I am.

Most hand held units don't run on 12 volts and have to have a voltage divider circuit built into the cable to bring it down to their level.

try plugging in just the cable without the GPS and see if the fuse still blows.

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no over here......no over here.

Plug in the cable without the GPSr attached. If it blows the fuse, it is the cable.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

If you are blowing the fuse in the car and not the connector, it is probably a problem in the connnector or the shape of the connector itself.(By connector, I mean the piece that goes in the Cigarette lighter socket.) The fuse in the connector is proably only 2 to 5 amp and the fuse you are blowing is 15 to 20 amp, so if it were a short in the cord, the little fuse would go first.

It might be the shape of the connector. I have a connector that goes to a cell phone speaker-phone that blows the fuse in my olds. The socket is constructed inside so as to let this happen easier than most.

I haven't had this problem with any of my GPS adapters, but I have had this problem in the past with different connectors, the problem was the grounding connector was touching the hot connector, not always mind you but every once in a while they would touch, usally when the cord was moved or pulled and this would short out the two and blow the fuse.

My Emap did the same thing, here's what I found out. The adaptor that plugs into the power socket has two side prongs that hold it into the socket. One prong is the ground the other prong just makes for a snug fit. Unscrew the end contact, remove the fuse and metal rings, carefully open the connector body. You will see that one side prong is connected to the circuit board by a wire. This is the ground that completes the circuit in operation. The other side prong isn't connected to anything. It just makes the adaptor fit tight in the power socket. You will also see that this prong is positioned farther forward than the grounding prong. I found that this prong went to deep into my power socket and shorted the circuit. If i just barely pushed the adaptor in until it made contact it would be ok, but the difference between ok and blown fuse was a fraction of an inch. Remove the dummy prong, carefully reassemble the adaptor with the other prong in place, and put the adaptor back together. Problem solved, it pushes into the socket a bit easier, and it is still nice and tight when inserted. You might be able to somehow modify the dummy prong, but you'll never miss it if you just remove it from the adaptor.