Rino 120 and Registration codes for Mapsouce

I recently purchased a rino 120. It has a nice basemap, but I would like to be able to download more info. I have a few Q's and I hope somebody can help! #1. Can I buy a used Mapsource CD like POI from somewhere like ebay and if I do, do I have to register it to be able to use it and can I if it is used software? #2 I am guessing that the rino 120 has no way of adding more memory right? Can I use any Mapsource CD with my Garmin rino 120, or only POI?

Thanks in advance

I have a couple Rino 120s and it has 8mb of memory. Enough for one region like L.A. East.

You can dl detailed Mapsource data to your Rino 120. The Rino 110 only has 1 mb for POI only.

What you can do to have the latest map information is to go to Garmin's website and order the free Mapsource CD from HERE. Then when you get it, you just buy the unlock code for your region.

It's $50 / region or $100 for all so it's probably better than buying old map data on Ebay.

Hope that helps!

Originally posted by flexmodem:

What you can do to have the latest map information is to go to Garmin's website and order the free Mapsource CD from http://shop.garmin.com/cartography/mapsource/update/cd_update_details.asp?CD=011-00803-01 Then when you get it, you just buy the unlock code for your region.

It's $50 / region or $100 for all so it's probably better than buying old map data on Ebay.

QUOTE]

Note that the referenced page is for an *update* to the MapSource City Select set of maps. These are really designed for the GPS V and some other units that do auto-routing. More importantly, the free CD is only to be used to update an existing previous version of the same product. Garmin states "You must already own a MapSource product to make use of an update. Update data will not load without an existing installation of the MapSource product you have chosen."

I'd recommend instead that you purchase a copy of your choice of the following MapSource products:

MetroGuide (most up to date streets, and best features)

Roads & Recreation (less up to date and least accurate but most memory-efficient)

Topo (worst on streets but includes topographic contours for hiking).

To decide, use the Garmin MapViewer at:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/

and zoom into an area with which you're familiar. Each of these products costs about $80 - 90 for the whole US and doesn't need any unlock codes.

I have a Rino 120 and have loaded both Mapsource Topo and Metroguide. Neither requires an "unlock" so I wouldn't hesitate to buy them second-hand.

Both are good (for different purposes). Metroguide uses much more memory - but it's pretty useful when planning outings on the PC. Topo's what I normally leave loaded on the GPS and provides a decent level of road detail as well as the (always useful) contour lines.

Good luck!