New, Period. What software for my needs?

All suggestions welcome. Thanks in advance!

I've just purchased a Garmin Legend and would like to know which software would be best suited for my purposes.

I do alot of boating and paddling on local I(Upstate SC) inland lakes and would like the best detail available for islands, obstructions, bridges, and other essential information. Roads are always nice, but not essential unless the detail would help in traveling and geocaching ... finding POIs and trailheads, etc.

Again, thanks in advance!

Dave

Dare I say it, Let's try some orienteering! icon_smile.gif

Go to Garmin's Cartography page of their website:

http://www.garmin.com/cartography/mapSource/ and use the MapViewer to check out their map products on a few areas with which you're familiar. Roads & Rec. is best for covering a large area with the 8 MB you have in the Legend and includes small streams; MetroGuide is better for travelling (business POIs, find addresses, etc.) and usually has better street detail. Both have lakes, islands, etc., but check which is best in your area. Topo is by far the worst for streets but is pretty accurate for natural features - even includes water depths in a few areas.