Laptop - Software - Antenna

njrich

I have a laptop that I like to use to do auto-routing. I need some feedback on software and what antenna is recommended for this type of setup. Basically I would like to this right the first time.

I looked at Garmins V and SteetPilot +++ deluxe and I think I can do it cheaper with my laptop.

Also I do have a Meridian (Yellow) for caching can the software that would be recommended work with the above too if possible?

Yes I'm a newbie

[This message was edited by njrich on February 27, 2003 at 03:36 PM.]

I think in the long run, it'll be cheaper with the V. Laptops eat batteries, are somewhat too large for automotive use, and you'd still need a GPSr anyway. With the V, you can RAM mount it to the windshield of your car, your friend's car, or a rental car, and be on your way. When you get where you're going, just pull it off and put it in the trunk. I have a handlebar mount for my V, can't do that with a laptop. Sometimes I walk to where I'm going, the V can ride on my pack strap and log tracks along the way. If anything, a laptop would be an accessory for the V, not the other way around.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

Use the Meridian Yellow attached to the laptop and just buy software? Don't know for sure this would work, but couldn't it? Just buy and auto routing software and use it with the Yellow on a serial cable.,.....

Anyone tried it? Then you still have the yellow for hiking or portable use. You could even get a ram laptop mount for your car, and run on a 12v laptop cable or small 250watt power inverter.

Just a thought.

Greg

Just do like 01ROVER says. You can get Microsoft Streets & Trips fairly cheap. I see it all the time offered with a rebate from Office Depot, or Best Buy and other places for around $25-$30 with rebate. It's an excellent mapping program and with your GPS hooked up will show your position as you drive along. You can also convert geocaching .loc files to .csv files and import them to S&T and have them show on the map. Most laptops will run directly on your vehicles 12 volt accessory jack. Even if your laptop power supply says 18v or 20v it will still run OK on 12v without an adaptor. Also get USAPhotomaps from www.jdmcox.com and download topo's and aerials from the area your going to and you can track your position on these maps as well. It's pretty cool to see yourself driving along on the aerial photo's.

I just got a copy of Delorme TOPO USA today and it indicates it can do real time routing through a laptop and with the delorme laptop anteanna. I imagine if you check around, it would work with the GPS you have also. I'll see what I can find on it as well.

Delorme makes a streets type software as well as the TOPO.

Just another software alternative.

Greg

A thought about laptop power in the car. Why not pick up a $50 power inverter and run the laptop on AC power? That's what I use for charting on my boat. Or buy a Pontiac Vibe (I think that's the one with the built-in inverter). Just be sure to unplug it before you start the car (just like with cell phones)? Who needs batteries when you car will create electricity?

Just a thought,

Will

I've got the laptop, meridian, inverter setup.

I use Delorme Topo 4.0 and Street Atlas. It tracks in real time and is a real timesaver.

Last weekend I was hunting a cache way out in a national forest and had forgotten the connecting cable for the meridian. I kept having to pull over to figure out where I was, and navigating roads on the GPS was a nightmare. What should have taken a few hours turned into 4 or 5. Its just TOO COOL to look over and see exactly where you are. I'd even considered buying a USB receiver to plug into the laptop full time but the meridian works fine and is simple to attach.

Only problem is you run out of places to plug stuff in!

When GPSr's are outlawed, only Outlaws will have GPSr's.

All right then! Where is a decent price place to buy a inverter or device for my laptop.

I have plenty of room in my van and SUV for a laptop setup. Matter of fact a friend of mine is going to acquire a laptop holder for automotive use for me. He works as a claims adjuster and drives a Corlla with a laptop and printer in his car! But he is not to tech on how the electrical part works to power these devices. icon_rolleyes.gif

I tried using a regular GPS connected to my laptop to real-time track and it was spotty at best. I later found the problem was the windshield in my Blazer, it has some kind of extra reflective coating that blocks part of the GPS signal, so I ended up buying an Emap with an exteranl antenna and that fixed that problem.

Anyway the software I found to be the best is the Delorme Street Atlas Ver.9, I also have The Street Atlas 2003 and I do not like the layout very well (not used to it yet)

Other software I have on the laptop to test with also includes MS Streets and Trips 2002, Garmin Mapsource MetroGuide, and Delorme Topo USA ver 3.

They all have there strong points but my favorite is the Delorme SA ver.9

When you go look for an inverter, keep in mind what other things you will want to run from it. Inverters come in different sizes based on "watts" usually and will be like 250, 500, 750, 1000 or 1500 watts. The package usually says the types of things you can run from it. A laptop will probably run on 250 watts, but other things may not. For instance, a blender will need a 500 watt model.

Just a thought as you mentioned using it for other items.

Also, some of the delorme streets software can be purchased with their USB style laptop antenna that plugs right into your laptop. I think I've seen this setup for around $149.00 but I could be wrong. Anyway, it may be a good thing to look at as you will have to buy the software anyway I'm guessing. Then, you could put the antenna outside the vehicle for better reception.

Just another thought.

icon_smile.gif Good luck whichever way you go. I had to go through 4 setups to find out I just wanted to keep what I originally had and thought I didn't like. Go figure.......

Thanks Rover. I have that gut feeling I might end up going with a Garmin V or StreetPilot III Color as my first notion. Went to car and just started to play around with where to setup the laptop. What I thought was lots of room is now a different story. I think on a long trip it would not be bad but for everyday driving I don't think so. Wife asked me, "so where do I sit?" I answered "I'm working on it icon_wink.gif" Long story short I think I will end up with one of the Garmin auto-routing units. Shame though because I think a laptop with a 15 inch screen is the way to go. But then again I don't think the Mrs. will like pointing the laptop at me while we travel. icon_eek.gif

More than one person has fried their laptop computer using an inverter. The problem is that inverters often do not produ.ece sine wave AC voltage. With some inverters, it is closer to a square wave, and will destroy a laptop--even through the power transformer on the laptop. When I use my laptop with my inverter, I only charge the battery with the laptop off. Maybe inverters are better nowdays. At least get one that says it produces modified sine wave.

GeoForse

GeoForse, and occasionally, the GreatrForse

2curlup.jpg

There's been a few other threads debating the Streetpilot v GPS v. If I recall correctly, the main complaint for the SPIII was the size and battery life when using it outside the car. I guess I'm still confused about your intentions for the unit you decide on. I also recall reading the color display wasn't worth the added expense or shorter battery life. You may consider doing a search through the threads for the other debates.

http://fp1.centurytel.net/Criminal_Page/

I want a auto-routing GPS for travel not caching. I have a Meridian for caching. The only thing with the Garmin V for me is the memory and maybe the size of the unit (display). I don't plan on taking the Garmin StreetPilot out of the car. I guess I will look and try the StreetPilot III. If I don't like it I'll return and get the Garmin V.

Glad you posted that. I wasn't aware of the problems with running a laptop on an inverter. I think a laptop would be a nice feature in a car. Maybe even a small computer with one of the TFT screens, if that would work well. Anyway, RAM makes some awesome looking laptop mounts that could hold the laptop, and with a laptop you would have other functions available too, but I guess my reluctance to use the laptop would be the wait for it to boot up, to load software, etc. Seems like there is more prep time involved than just pushing a power button.

With my GPS use, the laptop would have to be extremely secured too. I use my gps when offroading and while I've seen some of my fellow club members use a laptop, it just isn't for me.

I do have a buddy with the Streetpilot 3 who swears by it. Uses it for trips and offroading. On the other hand, I've got a friend that uses the Garmin GPS V and he swears by it too.

Go figure. I like the feature of autorouting, but didn't like either unit. SP3 is too large for me, and GPSV is too small and no color. I settled on the 176c but had to give up autorouting on the go. I can still route in the computer on metroguide and download the route though for driving prompts.

Let us know which direction you go njrich and how it works out for you. I'll try to gets some pictures of my new 176c install on its RAM bracket to share. I don't have the hard wire run for power yet, nor the antenna put outside, but it may give you an idea on the RAM brackets that would have a product for holding a laptop.

Greg

Thanks again for the information on the links! Super! I think this weekend and forth coming days I will take a deep breath and really go over this stuff. I do take note on the screen size too of the Garmin V. With me and Mrs. we need a larger screen and thus have to pay the price for this. I also will look into the 176 you mentioned. Let me get cracking and pour over all the information. icon_eek.gif

I bought a dedicated laptop GPS for my parents to run in their RV with their laptop. Fairly good "best of both worlds" as the GPS is really cheap as it does not need a display and comes sealed and ready for mounting externally. This one is VERY small (3/4" x 1" x 1/2") as well and takes almost no power from the laptop.

http://www.gpscentral.ca/products/haicom/hi202e.htm

*Please note that these are Canadian prices.

I tried replying to your email but it kept coming back. Here is what I sent:

"Njrich,

The 176 will use regular map software from Mapsource. I have Mapsource

metroguide on a 128mb chip on mine right now. It can let you input a

route on the computer and down load it to the unit to use for turn/turn

routing. It won't make changes or do auto routing, but if you know

where you are going before hand, you can plot out the drive and get

turn-by-turn directions along the way. This is with Metroguide.

With regards to Mapsource Topo, I don't have it yet, but will get a

copy. If you are not using the unit for hiking, or other activities where

you want to see elevation changes, you may not need it. The unit

itself can give you your elevation in feet so you can see that, but if you

are going off roading or hiking with the unit, you can use Topo for

elevation changes. The 176 can run 12 hours on 4 AA batteries if you are

conserving the light usage.

I love it, but if you want auto routing on the go, it's not going to do

it.

Hope that helps.

Greg"

Well after a few days of testing and making a descision here is what I decided:

The laptop is the way to go for us for travel. Tried the Garmin products (V and StreetPilot III Deluxe). The SP III deluxe is ok but the processing time for data is to slow for me. The Garmin V, well we did not use it. To small and I prefer the meridian over it only because of the use of SD cards, larger screen and I would have to think the processor in it has to be slower then the SP III deluxe. But I can see why people own the Garmin V for hiking, biking and caching. Nice small footprint device and auto-routing.

What I did find out about these GPS devices is the processor speed and antenna. The more data you put into the GPS the slower it runs (like an old X88 computer) and also the built in antenna in these devices really does have to have a clear line of sight.

After spending 3 days of testing and driving around I found for my use (travel) that you cannot beat a laptop setup with external GPS antenna. With the help of my friend we made a make shift bracket from a ex-police car laptop holder and off we went. First off 15 inches of screen is like seeing again. We used Delorme's topo maps and the meridian as our reciever to test and I can honestly say for travel you cannot beat this setup. Once I get a external antenna under the advice of a x-ham radio operator my system should run even better as far as tracking and response is concerned. Ordered 2 laptop mounts from RAM and researching on the external GPS antenna.

So there you have it! After buying, testing I ended up with a laptop setup. May even try a PDA once they get the screen size up in size a bit more. I even went as far as timing the setup, startup of the laptop and found that it only takes 3 more minutes to run as compared to grabbing a GPS handheld, pluging it in, turn it on, etc. I consider this not to bad. Plus I can have all the maps loaded in the laptop and also have other intended uses for it at the same time.

And for everyday use? Well I got the good old Meridian for hiking, caching and what have you.

Now, just grab yourself one of those small laptop portable printers from HP and you are really set. icon_smile.gif Imagine being able to print out a topo map of an area before you head off with the handheld gps for hiking.

Also, think of all the other things that may arise that you can print on the go. When staying overnight at a hotel room, you can print internet pages if you log in.

Anyway, glad you found a setup that works for you. You are definately right, once you load a bunch of map data into a gps it usually seems to slow down.

Good luck and enjoy,

Greg

quote:
Originally posted by 01ROVER:

Now, just grab yourself one of those small laptop portable printers from HP and you are really set. icon_smile.gif Imagine being able to print out a topo map of an area before you head off with the handheld gps for hiking.

Also, think of all the other things that may arise that you can print on the go. When staying overnight at a hotel room, you can print internet pages if you log in.

Anyway, glad you found a setup that works for you. You are definately right, once you load a bunch of map data into a gps it usually seems to slow down.

Good luck and enjoy,

Greg

Funny you mentioned that. I think my wife or friend said that too. I don't want to turn this into the Bat Mobile icon_eek.gif