Using UTM Coordinates?

ChevyFam

Hi everyone!

I have a list of coordinates that I'd like to use this weekend. They are in UTM format and I don't know how to make them into a Lat/Long format. I use a Garmin eTrex Legend and also can't see how I'd just enter the UTM coords in it. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thanks,

Andrea

You can do a few things actually.

If you go into your legend main menu theres the setup page. You can then change the MAP Dataum to UTM and then your waypoints will show as UTM. Change the unit back to WGS84 and then you're converted automatically.

IF you have mapsource, you can also configure mapsource for UTM also. Mapsource will also do the conversion based on what was input to convert to what datum you want to use.

lastly, there are a few places on the internet where you can do some conversions online. Just have to use google and search for WGS84 to UTM.

I opt for mapsource personally. It's quick to change without a lot of button pushing. The legend also will do the conversion too but the click stick can be a hassle for entering a lot of coordinate data.

- Rob

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

Actually you do not set the datum to WGS84. You change the coordinates system (Position Format) to UTM (look under "UNITS"). It should be liste as "UTM/UPS". The datum stays WGS84, when you change to UTM. Now, if your coordinates are in NAD27, then you will need to change your datum too. If you don't know the datum, then just stick with WGS84. If your coordinates were read off of a USGS topo map, then they are mostlikely in the NAD27 datum.