Question on GPS

brody2

Hi:

New user of a Garmin GPS. I've noticed that as I get close to a cache, I can't watch the arrow/pointer, but instead have to watch the "feet/mile" data.

As I get closer to the cache, the "feet/mile" field is correct, but the arrow is invariably pointing in the wrong direction.

Is this correct? And if so, why?

TIA,

Brody2

My Magellans do the same, and there have been mentions of it here before. Steering becomes unreliable at close range, so I too use only the distance window, along with a compass when required.

Can't explain why, but seems to be like that for many types of nav systems, not just GPS. I remember that inertial and dead reckoning systems also seemed to behave similarly when I was an Air Force puke.

Many Geocachers cary a compass, because when you slow down to hunt the cache, the arrow on the GPSR gets flaky. Just take the bearing to the waypoint off of the GPS, plug it into the compass, and follow the direction to travel off of the compass. The reason the GPs gets flaky is that when the distance to the waypoint is less than the Estimated Position Error, the position fix will dance around within the range circle. Hope this helps you...

Here is the complex answer to a simple question.

Your GPS is accurate to about 20' on a normal day. As you get closer where you are heading too doesn't change. However where the GPS think you are relative to that point does. When you are 100' away this doesn't make much different.

When you are very close that 20' bounces you around relative to the waypoint. As you bounce your arrow changes direction and becomes worthless.

Wherever you go there you are.