FYI: SporTrak Pro firmware update

The SporTak Pro also has a new firmware update, but this is specifically for those folks who got their units in the Cosco bundle (or others that might have gotten a similar bundle). You'll notice the Magup program? It's for the update program from Magellan and installs when you install the bundled Mapsend software. The NA magup program on the disk is not for the SporTrak Pro - it will not work. You must go to the Magellan site and download the magup program specifically for the Sportrak, and follow their directions precisely. If you don't have Winzip to unzip the program, click on the Winzip hyperlink on the download page - don't fear the $28 price for the Winzip program; click on the evaluation download. This allows you 28 days use of Winzip - 27 more days than you'll need to unzip the magup download. icon_biggrin.gif Anyway, the new softare is pretty sharp in addressing one feature - you know have rubberbanding on the map (secondary line which shows where you are in regards to your GoTo). You can leave the first line (non-static) on the display, or disable it and just go with the rubberband.

The other Meridian thread also discusses the same features which are available in the current firmware patch. The sats became visible in the display about a minute after the unit re-initialized after the new software. Don't fret it - give it a moment or two before thinking there's a problem and needlessly re-initializing.

HTH!

Grandmaster Cache

Hi,

There is a a magup program that installs with the Mapsend CD (the bundled package from Cosco). This updating software does not work on the SporTrak Pro. You have to download, then unzip the updating software from the Magellan website. Then you can download the new firmware. Sorry to be confusing, but just ignore it if you didn't just buy the bundle (as I said). icon_wink.gif Proceed straight to the Magellan website and follow their directions - works like a charm.

This was for anybody who was trying to run the Magup from the Mapsend CD on their SporTrak Pro. You'd think the program would work on the STPro because it's sold together, but it doesn't. Now that's confusing to me! icon_biggrin.gif No worries, I was just directing the folks who just bought these to ignore the update program with the CD and download/unzip it from the Magellan website. That does work. Hope that clarifies a bit?? icon_smile.gif

Grandmaster Cache

Hi,

This is what's been referred to as the "always changing" line between you (your current location) and the goto (your destination). With the old software, the line was "drawn" on your mapscreen when you entered the goto, but then as you drove towards it, it never changed (and therefore couldn't be seen many times on the screen for reference, if you were too far away from it).

No matter, now the line changes to reflect a constant "as the crow flies" line between wherever you are and where the goto is. There are two options now. You can select just the first non-changing line, or you can select the one that shows the current directional line. You can also show both, if you had some need/desire to. icon_wink.gif

HTH

Grandmaster Cache

I just upgraded the firmware on my SporTrak Pro. It worked as advertised. It took me a while to find where to change the default. Access the map page and press (the Menu Button)the button with the open book on it. Arrow down to Map Setup. Access to Display. One of the options is Pos-Dest Line. This is the option you want. If you want to disable the original method take the checkmark out of Depart-Dest Line. icon_biggrin.gif

I would like to thank Magellan for making this enhancement. I am among many who contacted Magellan and made this request. It's nice when a company listens to its customers that way.

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!

Thanks NightStalker for the info. Do you know if there is a way to do the same for the "Road" screen? I just got my Pro for Christmas and so far I love it. We went geocaching yesterday in some really heavy tree cover in hills and valleys and it did very well with maintaining lock. So far my only complaint is that it seems to prefer railroad tracks to roads when plotting my position on the map.

Hey Night Stalker

Thanks for the step by step. I am new to geocaching and GPS units. 4 days new in fact. Yup, Santa was nice to me. I did the firmware upgrade 'cuz I heard I should. However I had no idea what benefit I would receive nor would I be a good judge of that benefit. Well, with two caches under my belt I now recognize the value in the rubber band option. I look forward to my next hunt wherein I can take advantage of your step by step instructions.

Corey

At this point, and I have been using my SporTrak since they first hit the market, I have not found any use for the road screen. I think it might be valuable if you set up a route??? If anyone knows how to use it let me know. I also keep finding new items with this upgrade. Does anyone have a complete list of what all has been changed.?

Lost? Keep going. You're making good time anyway!