eTrex screen blanks out

Guest Rootbeer

Guest Rootbeer

I've been taking my yellow eTrex on a couple of long trips now, and the display occasionally goes blank. What seems to happen is that the contrast adjustment goes out of whack for a few seconds, since it's not totally blank (just very pale). Then, after about three or four seconds, it's back to normal. I don't know whether the display updates during the pale times, since it's never stayed out long enough for me to get a good look at it.

This has happened about two or three times now. It doesn't happen often, perhaps once during several hours of operating time (although it may have happened when I wasn't noticing, of course). It's not a battery issue, I'm sure, because each time I've seen it, I've had the unit operating off of the car's power (with good batteries inside as well). I doubt that it's temperature-related, because it's comfortably inside an air-conditioned car.

It could be location-related (although that seems unlikely). Each time, I was driving at highway-speed. It didn't occur to me (until now) that maybe there was something about "that spot" that was causing the problem. I doubt it, though.

I'm using firmware 2.11. I didn't notice this blanking while using firmware 2.10, but I didn't watch the GPSr on a long drive until recently. (I recently purchased the RAM suction-cup mount, highly recommended, which keeps the GPSr in easy view while driving.) My best guess is that this is a software problem with the electronic contrast control, although it might be a hardware problem.

So, it seems to be just an occasional (and tolerable) glitch. But in case this gets to be more frequent or longer lasting, I'm wondering whether any one else has seen anything like this with any eTrex model.

I also have started to notice this on my yellow etrex. However, like you, I have just started using it more on long trip in the car. It happened again yesterday. I had just gotten in the car and powered on the etrex. Approx. 30 seconds after acquiring satellite lock, I noticed the screen go blank. A couple seconds later it was back on again, operating normally. I really have no explanantion for what is happening, only wanted to note that I am experiencing the same thing as you.

I also notice the other day when my wife and I were going on a two hour drive. The first time I just thought it was glare on the cover of the case the GPS was in. I saw it happen two more times before we arived at our destination and was pretty sure it wasn't just my eyes. I am also running 2.11

mcb

Guest GammaBoo

I've had similar problems with my etrex Vista (see thread), as have others. Garmin has a trouble report form on its website which is easy to fill out. I'm encouraging everyone with problems with their unit to go there and let Garmin know what's going on. I got a response to my report in a day or so. They authorized return of my unit

Guest joshuabrand

I've had that happen once on my Etrex Venture. However, it happened only once, and I'm almost always looking at the unit when using it. As long as it doesn't happen frequently, I don't really care. That is, as long as it doesn't indicate a problem with the unit.