Compass question

Sorry if this is a real newbie Q and has been answered 10's of times before.

I have borrowed a Garmin III from a mate and decided to try and find a cache with my oldest. The unot works fine in the car but when i stop nothing works (the compass and the goto function). The bearings change but not the compass, i have to walk as fast as i can to make anything happen. Also when travelling the same route i noticed a massive (100ft+) error from a week previous.

Am i not being fair to this unit or is it old hat and should be replaced by a Garmin Venture or equivalent?

Thanks for your help and thoughts

Silver

You're not dealing with an electronic compass here on the III ... you should take a magnetic compass with you to follow your bearing to the cache. Be sure your settings are set to Magnetic ... or manually do a declination calculation to transfer information to your magnetic compass.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Co-founder of the "NC/VA GEO-HOG ASSOCIATION"

... when you absolutely have to find it first!

Going from memory......I think not! I've owned two magellans over the years and loved both. I've used my friends Garmin's and Lawrence and was never very impressed. To say "the vast majority of geocachers on this site prefer Garmin" is absurd. To each his own..But I'll bet you've never cached with a Magellan..

"Faith is to the human what sand is to the ostrich"

><DARWIN>

L L