Modifying a Garmin eTrex

azog

I wonder if anyone has ever modified an eTrex to support an external antenna? The thing is, what type? I'm not handy at antenna calculations.

I'm fairly aware of some of the ramifications of doing so - void warranty and probably void the water-proofing. But I don't really mind taking power tools to my electronic equipment.

So, the way that I am reading his directions, if I have an antenna that does not need to be powered, I just need to work up a connection from the end of my antenna (MCX) to the the loop of wire that is suspended over the etrex's patch antenna. Am I oversimplifying this or could it really be that easy?

quote:
Originally posted by Pneumatic:

Here's a solution that doesn't even involve hacking up the case, you can make a http://home.t-online.de/home/gartrip/antenna.htm, that also acts as a power source for the etrex.

-- Mitch

That's cool!

It's a bit more tecnical than me at this stage in my life. I'm not even sure where my soldering iron is. If you were up to it, what would you charge for to make one? Can it be adapted for portable use?