Mapping Software.

player

With all the third party software available by third parties (from what i am reading better) , why would anyone one consider the software offered by the manufacturer of their GPS unit?

Ordering the Magellan Platinum and can't decide if I should order they're Mapsend TOPO, or consider other mapping software from other venders that I understand cannot be downloaded to the unit, but can be used on my computer. If I download waypoints etc., why do I need more then the basemap provided in the unit.

Hope I have made this question clear.

Thanks fo all replies. icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif

quote:
Originally posted by player:

...why would anyone one consider the software offered by the manufacturer of their GPS unit?

The only reason to do so is if you want to put map products into your GPS (or you happen to like the manufacturers software).

If you want to pass waypoints back and forth between GPS and computer or just do mapping on your computer, then buy the software you like best.

quote:
..why do I need more then the basemap provided in the unit.

This is just a personal issue. If you are happy with the basemap, then you do not need anything else. However, if you decide you want to add Topo maps (or other detailed maps) to your GPS, then this is where you have to buy from the manufacturers as you can't load maps from third party software...

-exConn

What is Project Virginia?

quote:
Originally posted by PatrickM:

the small screen on the Vista makes downloading topo maps a pretty useless feature. You can't view a large enough area for navigating. Any software that lets you download waypoints/routes used in conjunction with a real topo map will do you fine.

No, no, no ... my friend ... it is very useful ... I use the Vista with my topos loaded for the area I'm backpacking in all the time. It is very useful ... While I'm not happy with the detail of the Mapsource Topos ... it gives a very good visual reference to the waypoints that I put in the GPS and the Maps (From Maptech) that I print out to carry. I actually print my trail maps back and front on 3X5's that I laminated for pocket reference ... these have the waypoints marked that are in the GPS. If I need a wider reference area ... I have the larger map in my pack. Also very useful ... granted it is small, but a quick zoom out can give you that quick wide shot you might need ... but again ... you should always carry maps IMHO.

348_1002.gif