need info

Guest cyclops_monkey

Guest cyclops_monkey

I'm a new member and im wondering what things i should look for in a gps????

How much should i pay???

What not to buy?????

and so forth

Thanks

Guest Harrkev

This is like asking what to buy in a car. People who like to go fast may want a Corvette. People who want to haul a large boat would be very unhappy with a Corvette.

First, tell us what your price range is, and what you want to do with it. If you are willing to do a little homework beforehand, even the cheapest GPS can be used for Geocaching.

How much should i pay???

As little as possible.

Non-mapping units start at $120. You can get basic mapping for around $250 or so (plus $100 for software). Some (eTrex) are close to ideal for such things as hiking. Some (Garmin V) are great on a car dashboard. Some (SP III) are great on the dash of a BMW. Some (Meridian) are all-around good performers.

What not to buy?????

Fatty foods, cigarettes, anything by Microsoft, shoes mady by foreign child labor (domestic child labor is better icon_wink.gif ).

Thanks

Questions similar to yours have been answered here countless times before. First, browse through the last 3 months, and look for similar questions. If you have any questions after that, let us know.

Guest Harrkev

This is like asking what to buy in a car. People who like to go fast may want a Corvette. People who want to haul a large boat would be very unhappy with a Corvette.

First, tell us what your price range is, and what you want to do with it. If you are willing to do a little homework beforehand, even the cheapest GPS can be used for Geocaching.

How much should i pay???

As little as possible.

Non-mapping units start at $120. You can get basic mapping for around $250 or so (plus $100 for software). Some (eTrex) are close to ideal for such things as hiking. Some (Garmin V) are great on a car dashboard. Some (SP III) are great on the dash of a BMW. Some (Meridian) are all-around good performers.

What not to buy?????

Fatty foods, cigarettes, anything by Microsoft, shoes mady by foreign child labor (domestic child labor is better icon_wink.gif ).

Thanks

Questions similar to yours have been answered here countless times before. First, browse through the last 3 months, and look for similar questions. If you have any questions after that, let us know.

Hi cyclops_monkey,

I guess basically what Harrkev means that getting a GPS is a personal choice. There's quite a lot of models out there that will do what you need. Then beyond that, it's a matter of bells and whistles.

The easiest way to start of it to make a list of whatever you need in a GPS and your budget. Where the 2 intersects, that's what gives you the most bang for the buck icon_smile.gif

Lemme know what you bought icon_wink.gif .. i'll be really curious ..

- Lost?!?!! ... Who? .. ME?!?! -

Hi cyclops_monkey,

I guess basically what Harrkev means that getting a GPS is a personal choice. There's quite a lot of models out there that will do what you need. Then beyond that, it's a matter of bells and whistles.

The easiest way to start of it to make a list of whatever you need in a GPS and your budget. Where the 2 intersects, that's what gives you the most bang for the buck icon_smile.gif

Lemme know what you bought icon_wink.gif .. i'll be really curious ..

- Lost?!?!! ... Who? .. ME?!?! -

quote:
Originally posted by cyclops_monkey:

How much should i pay???

What not to buy?????

and so forth

Thanks

my most important factor in deciding what gps to buy was cost.....I budgeted myself 300 dollars....i have been reading this board for about 1 week now and have steadily gained tons of info......

I have decided to go with the Etrex Vista... its got 24mb of memory, which was number two on my important factor list, and has a lot of great built in features....for about 100 dollars less you can get the Etrex legend...another great gps....8mb of memory, which is plenty for geocaching....and typical travel

have fun and read this board..its a great source of info