Lowrance Global Map 100

I got this for my husband to use with our boat in Alaska (and on shore) in December. Well, it sat on the shelf until we discovered geocaching. Now, it is a great unit up until the last 100 feet. Then it goes blond (or blind, whichever you prefer) My little Garmin etrex (the yellow one) seems to be dead on the money. Can anybody give me a clue about the Global Map? Maybe how to fine tune it or such? I really like a lot of the features and usability but it would be nice to be a little more confident in the final 100 feet. Thanks!

I've used the GM100 for a few years and it always works well. Several other geocachers also use them and most gush about high accuracy and great reception in heavy cover.

Check the firmware version, it's on the intro screen. The current version is 1.8. If you have a data cable you can update it. Download from http://www.lowrance.com/Software/Upgrades/upgrades.asp

Have you checked batteries?

Contact Lowrance if it still misbehaves. Good Luck

It has very bad receiption under cover. It seems that people either love or hate the GM100.

It functioned for some of our caching. However there were times that it would read up to a hundred yards away from our map330. Some times it would be right on. If it kept a signal. Light cover would make it lose satilite lock quit often. Leaving you standing there staring at a blinking screen.

GM100 lovers like to tell you your unit is a lemon. They will demean you for disliking or criticising the GM100.

I think that the GM100 has a very poor antenna and is a poor choice for land use. When there are so many good GPSr out there.

Dissclaimer:

This is only an opinion. This is a compillation of experiences with three specific GPSr units. These experiences may or maynot add or detract from the specific capabilities of other units of the same makes or models. Any experiances or opinions by this user may or maynot support or conflict with the experiances or opinions of other users, and will not be held in debate.

This is only an opinion.

I don't care what others think of the GM100. I'm sharing my experiance with the GM100, and I dought it's a lemon.

naughty.gif

Preperation, the first law to survival.

39197_400.jpg

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by thrillseeker69:

Kat, next time you try searchin' with the Globallmap, try this: once you get into the general vicinity of the cache, zoom in if you havent already done so by that time. The closer you get, keep zooming in. The first cache I found, it pinpointed down to 1 foot! Good luck!

icon_razz.gif

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by thrillseeker69:

Kat, next time you try searchin' with the Globallmap, try this: once you get into the general vicinity of the cache, zoom in if you havent already done so by that time. The closer you get, keep zooming in. The first cache I found, it pinpointed down to 1 foot! Good luck!

icon_razz.gif