Confused about map software....

Ok, I understand that Garmin maps don't work in Magellan GPSr's, and vice versa.

What I don't understand is that everyone talks about 3rd party maps in some GPSr's. I've seen posts about d/l'ing maps into SD cards, but what do you get when you do that? Is it just a picture? How do you know it's scaled correctly? Will your GPSr correctly locate you on this 3rd party map? Or is it only for reference?

I'm planning on buying a MeriPlat FWIW, so any answers specific to that unit will be very helpful. Markusby has also gotten me VERY interested in the Manifold mapping software. I'd much rather make my own maps (for fun), if I can do it accurately, than pay for them. But before I shell out $250 for a mapping program I'd like to know what my final functionality will be.

I'm also looking at Garmin V for a GPS and would like to know if I'd be able to load 3rd party/custom maps into it, and what sort of functionality I can expect. Will it still do routing with a non-Garmin map?

Thanks in advance,

AtP

Only Garmin maps can be downloaded into Garmin GPSR's. Likewise with Magellan. Third party maps which have more detail and bells and whistles than som e of the GPS mfr's mapping software, can only be viewed on your PC but the maps themselves cannot be transferred into the GPSR's. However, you can create waypoints and routes on the 3rd party maps in your PC and transfer that data into the GPSR. Likewise you can transfer data such as tracks created in your GPSR into the third party software in your PC.

I have a Vista with Garmin Mapsourse Topo and Street maps. I started with these. I recently bought National Geographic Topo that provide greater contour and geographic detail. But I still use Mapsource mainly. I would start with the Manufactiurer's mapping software if you have a maping GPSR. You need thers to download the maps anyway. hen you can decide later if you really need third party software - but you don't have to make that decision now.

Just my 2 cents.

Alan

For what it's worth, the Garmin Maps, are REALLY out of date in my area, and are still very pricey. I bought the Garmin Legend and Mapsource Roads and Recreation CD. If I had been aware of just how out of date this overpriced software was, I wouldn't have gone with Garmin, despite the fact that they have good GPSr's, as without quality software, you are only getting half the package.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

I use my third party Maps on my laptop, I hook up the GPSr (Garmin Legend) via the serial port, and it does indicate my position and so forth on these maps. Just can't upload them to the Garmin...bummer, it would be nice to get rid of the laptop....that's what I wanted to do when I bought the Garmin Roads and Rec CD, then I discovered how out of date it was.

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.