What to buy?

Geneva940

I to am also a newbie to Geocaching. I accidently ran across a geocacher while I was searching for gold, with my metal detector. We talked briefly, and he stated he wanted a metal detector like mine, and I stated that I was curious about GPS units; manufacturer, accuracy, battery life, etc. This individual owned a Garmin Extrend Legend; and said that it performed quite well. I did some research on many different types of GPS units, and concluded that the Garmin was the one for me.

Circuit City has the units on sale for about $160... plus the GPS license users fee.

The first week I purchased my GPS I found 5 caches, including one Travel Bug. It works really great. If you purchase a GPS unit, here is the best adive I can give: Read the users manual, Read the users manual, Read the users manual......... understand? Also, get connected to the internet and download the latest version of the GPS operating software.

Just, get a GPS, go and practice. It's a real hoot finding caches! I have chiggers to prove it!

If you have any questions, please email me.

I have found that all experienced Geocachers are extremely kind, patient and helpful to us newbies.

Ron

L - R & Bubba

quote:
Originally posted by Geneva940:

I recently heard about geocaching and was thinking about getting into it. First I guess I have to buy a GPS unit. For a beginner what is the best type of unit to buy? Would like to stay in the $50-$150 range. In advance thanks for your help.

Hey Geneva940,

Welcome to Geocaching, neighbor! I used the eTrex basic yellow (about $120)for my first 150 or so caches and it worked fine. After winning third in a football playoff pool, I treated myself to an eTrex Legend. It really does no better in helping me find caches than the yellow but it does help me get to the general location with the maps. Now when my boys aren't caching with me, the yellow is hooked to my digital camera and I cache with the Vista. For caching, you'll be fine with most any unit. Personally, I think for the money, an eTrex Legend is a wonderful value.

Let me know if you'd like to get together and go caching. Also, the Chicago area has a very friendly and helpful Geocaching community. Check out the ChiTown Cachers We recently had a picnic at Fabyan Forest Preserve and there are lots of caches within 5 miles of Geneva.

George