Mapping software and GPS- really confused

tgkfish

I am looking for a new GPS..I think I have read everything there is with respect to GPS and mapping software...and all I can say is I am more confused then ever.

I had one of the first magellan GPS and then went to the lowrance Expedition..both were not mapping. My Lowrance did great finding stuff and I own the Maptech Topo maps (which I use to transfer waypoints and tracks back and forth then print off the map).

I really would like to be able to download topo maps to the GPS and it looks like each GPS has proprietary maps to download ...and all cost about $99 extra

I want to down load maps to the GPS with the same resolution as Maptech topo maps (or Topozone if you prefer)....which GPS gets me there and see the terrain vs carrying custom maps

Here are my questions-

Is there any non-proprietary software out there that woudl allow you to create a map (cut and paste) and download it?

How good are the $99 topo maps that you can buy with Garmin/Magellan or Lowrance?

Can you download maps from Maptech?

Which GPS unit would be good buy?

tgk

The maps from Garmin are scanned 1:100,000, and the maps from magellan are basicaly the same resolution but a diffrent process. The only way to see the maptech maps with the gps position on the screen would be to purchase a palm or pocketPC device. Then you would need some type of GPSr for it (stand alone, compact flash card GPS, mouse type gps, or a sleeve for the ipaqs).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

I assume you are talking about 1:24000 scale topo maps as these have the most detail. No, you cannot upload these to a GPS. And if your talking about a handheld unit, what would be the point? At 1:24000 scale, you'd have about 1km x 1.3km on a "big screen" like the GPSMap 76 (1.6"x 2.2" screen), and with a screen resolution of 180 x 240 trying to show a vector map, it wouldn't look very sharp like a paper topo map. And what happens if your GPS dies? You can print your own quality topo's for the cost of the paper and ink with all your waypoints, tracks, and whatever else you want. Not trying to flame you here, but I just don't see the point of trying to put a large scale detailed map on a tiny low res screen.

As for which unit to buy, I'm looking to upgrade from my old faithful yellow eTrex to the GPSMap 76S (garmin). It's a large handheld, WAAS, external antenna jack, 24M memory, altimeter, compass, audible alarms, it's waterproof (even floats), and has quadrifilar internal antenna...everything I want in a handheld unit. Can't wait til Xmas!

Poindexter

www.geocities.com/fairbank56

I have a magellan meridian gold. I love it. It has waas capability plus its expandable to 128mb memory. I can get lock anywhere. I never lost lock in the woods and i even get signal in the house. As far as mapping, most gps has mapping software, but its really to just give you an estimate where you are. I would suggest printing out maps of the areas you plan on going to with your maptech software. National geopgraphics has adeventure paper out too that will not tear and is waterproof on their website to buy. www.topo.com