GC42E CAMBRIDGESHIRE

GC1873 GWYNEDD

GC2561 HERTFORDSHIRE

GC1330 NORTHUMBERLAND

GC1D33 KENT

GC2310 CONWY

GC19B5 KENT

If it's wrong let me know.

I have a full database now of all the waypoints but will not publish it just in case it upsets anyone at Groundspeak.

They still like you to go to their webpage you know.

I hope this helps some of you

Happy Hunting

Guest LazyLeopard

It's a pity the "State" field in the cache entry page doesn't allow for the possibility that countries outside the USA might have something equivalent. I can see that a drop-down list is probably good for getting acccurate State names in for the US, but it would be nice to have an equivalent field into which UK caches could have county names, and Australian caches could have their states, and...

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Ah yes, but what do you do where the former metropolitan counties were ? Like Tyne & Wear (for instance) is now split into 5 metropolitan boroughs - and the 'county' as it was no longer exists - in fact there are still numerous people in Tyne & Wear that still refer to themselves as being from either Co. Durham or Northumberland (as applicable) even though 'officially' that ceased in 1974.

Could you not just use a map site (Streetmap allows Lat/Long input) to locate the cache - perhaps even draw yourself a map of the UK with the full degree lat/longs on it and then you can very simply place the cache approximately ? Remember each degree of lat/long is (very very roughly) 50 miles - that should give you a rough fix from your home location.

You'll guess from the above that I'm not in favour of adding the county field - but then again the county I live in is one of the larger ones (I think it's the 5th largest by area, but I could be wrong) so it's still not narrowing the area down particularly - for me lat/long are more than adequate to locate the cache.

Guest LazyLeopard

miles from me that would require the best part of a day to visit, and others 40 miles away that could be visited in an afternoon. A list of caches in one county would at least filter out the obviously daft choices. Even a coarser division into (say) Scotland, Wales, Midlands, etc. would help a bit...

It's just an option. Some folks would find it helpful. Others could ignore it. Whatever.

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

quote:
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

Even a coarser division into (say) Scotland, Wales, Midlands, etc. would help a bit...

Sure - that's great - unless you're near one of these artificial divisions.... (and where do you draw the boundaries ? - that alone could cause confusion if my idea of what makes up the Midlands is different to yours - as I expect it is :cool icon_smile.gif

I happen to live close enough to Scotland to be potentially affected by dividing into 'macro regions' - and for what it's worth Scotland happens to be quite a big place - almost impossible to drive from one end to the other in a single day ("There's nae hurry north o'Dunkeld" as one of my Scottish pals is fond of reminding me), relatively empty but a big place nonetheless, the same could be said for Wales, and people living close to it's border - so to check which ones are close you're back to Lat/Long again icon_smile.gif

Mind you it can also be rather exciting going caching with only the co-ordinates to guide you - as in no cache printout (unless it's a calcucache like Souter Point in which case impossible with only the one point)

quote:
Originally posted by LazyLeopard:

Even a coarser division into (say) Scotland, Wales, Midlands, etc. would help a bit...

Sure - that's great - unless you're near one of these artificial divisions.... (and where do you draw the boundaries ? - that alone could cause confusion if my idea of what makes up the Midlands is different to yours - as I expect it is :cool icon_smile.gif

I happen to live close enough to Scotland to be potentially affected by dividing into 'macro regions' - and for what it's worth Scotland happens to be quite a big place - almost impossible to drive from one end to the other in a single day ("There's nae hurry north o'Dunkeld" as one of my Scottish pals is fond of reminding me), relatively empty but a big place nonetheless, the same could be said for Wales, and people living close to it's border - so to check which ones are close you're back to Lat/Long again icon_smile.gif

Mind you it can also be rather exciting going caching with only the co-ordinates to guide you - as in no cache printout (unless it's a calcucache like Souter Point in which case impossible with only the one point)

Guest Lost in Space

quote:
...... there is a fun time to be had by just setting off with your GPS in charge icon_smile.gif

Mind you it can also be rather exciting going caching with only the co-ordinates to guide you - as in no cache printout

That's great until you arrive at the wrong side of a narrow canal - as I did the other day!

Guest Lost in Space

quote:
...... there is a fun time to be had by just setting off with your GPS in charge icon_smile.gif

Mind you it can also be rather exciting going caching with only the co-ordinates to guide you - as in no cache printout

That's great until you arrive at the wrong side of a narrow canal - as I did the other day!

That's what makes it exciting - you never know if it's going to be directly accessible - as Moss Trooper found out when he went to the one in North Blyth - it's a 5 mile detour from the south bank of the river to the north......

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

Sure - that's great - unless you're near one of these artificial divisions....

You wouldn't have to use them. You could always use the "near this location" option. But having the possibility of limiting a search to a particular region is an option that would be useful for some.

quote:
where do you draw the boundaries? - that alone could cause confusion

The polititians have been re-drawing them on a fairly frequent basis anyway. Lump a few counties together. Whatever. The point is to add an extra dimension for searching on. If borderline cases happen to be in the "wrong" region, so what?

quote:
for what it's worth Scotland happens to be quite a big place - almost impossible to drive from one end to the other in a single day

So call it three regions, Lowlands, Highlands, Islands? Or whatever.

quote:
Perhaps the real solution is to get maps on the pages

Well, the Excite link usually does something useful, but the point isn't to show where individual caches are, it's to allow a search to be restricted according to some sensible boundaries, to arrive at a shorter list of possible caches more easily.

quote:
there is a fun time to be had by just setting off with your GPS in charge

A compass can be mighty handy too... ;>

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

RLAND

GC1DBC BRIGHTON AND HOVE

GC249 CAMDEN (LONDON)

GC21F9 WESTMINSTER (LONDON)

GCFE7 HIGHLAND

GC2024 NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

GC224A CUMBRIA

GC224D CUMBRIA

GC12AD SURREY

GC1E2C DENBIGHSHIRE

GC1BBD HAMPSHIRE

GC295 LEICESTERSHIRE

GC22FC ISLE OF ANGLESEY

GC9D1 BARNSLEY

GC257F WALTHAM FOREST (LONDON)

GC2713 HAMPSHIRE

GC415 FIFE

GC2056 NORTH YORKSHIRE

GC22D7 GATESHEAD

GC250D EDINBURGH CITY

GCAA2 NORTHUMBERLAND

GC382 BUCKINHAMSHIRE

GC18FF GREENWICH (LONDON)

GC1A56 EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE

GCFE6 HIGHLAND

GC1AC1 ISLES OF SCILLY

GC202D MONMOUTHSHIRE

GC132F SCOTTISH BORDERS

GC26F8 LANCASHIRE

GC1EBE ESSEX

GC1688 ST HELENS

GC1C7A ISLES OF SCILLY

GC934 ARGYLL AND BUTE

GCF0 STIRLING

GC1C63 DERBYSHIRE

GC20ED SHROPSHIRE

GC22FD CARMARTHENSHIRE

GC1C02 HAMPSHIRE

GC1A6E MORAY

GC1F9C LINCOLNSHIRE

GC2371 KIRKLEES (HUDDERSFIELD)

GC2248 CUMBRIA

GC1F9E SOUTH TYNESIDE

GC20A7 BRIGHTON AND HOVE

GC1B76 WEST SUSSEX

GC242D SOUTH TYNESIDE

GC25B9 EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE

GC1BFD WEST SUSSEX

GC2516 HARROW (LONDON)

GC1E84 GWYNEDD

GC1E7E GWYNEDD

GCD1B SOUTH AYRSHIRE

GC1EBC KENT

GC23F7 NORFOLK

GC26F2 NORFOLK

GC1FB0 CAMBRIDGESHIRE

GC2BA MONMOUTHSHIRE

GCBE3 WOKINGHAM (Berkshire) thanks Richard

GC26B9 ESSEX

GC1890 NOTTINGHAMSHIRE

GC1729 NORTH YORKSHIRE

GC204C DONCASTER

GC177 HERTFORDSHIRE

GC18BC HERTFORDSHIRE

GC1C5F CORWALL

GC21FB CAERPHILLY

GC1708 DERBYSHIRE

GC7C4 ARGYLL AND BUTE

GC1CAB KIRKLEES

GC2484 EAST SUSSEX

GC1D43 HAMSHIRE

GC171 BUCKINGHAMSHIRE

GCD79 NORTHUMBERLAND

GCBE7 SOUTH TYNESIDE

GC42E CAMBRIDGESHIRE

GC1873 GWYNEDD

GC2561 HERTFORDSHIRE

GC1330 NORTHUMBERLAND

GC1D33 KENT

GC2310 CONWY

GC19B5 KENT

GC2860 SWINDON

GC2843 SURREY

GC282B HERTFORDSHIRE

GC2809 HALTON

GC278F WILTSHIRE

GC277D DUMFRIES AND GALLOWAY

GC278D WILTSHIRE

GC2822 TO GC2828 LONDON

If it's wrong let me know.

I have a full database now of all the waypoints but will not publish it just in case it upsets anyone at Groundspeak.

They still like you to go to their webpage you know.

I hope this helps some of you

Happy Hunting

Guest Lost in Space

quote:
Originally posted by JasonW:

That's what makes it exciting - you never know if it's going to be directly accessible ......

Ha! I did it again today. Using only the GPS I got within 0.5 mile from the cache - found a nice car park, and set off on nice made up pathways. Got within 500 feet and the gPS told me to head into the undergrowth. Following directions I duly set off, through brambles, nettles, holly bushes etc. Finally found the cache, (the coordinates were spot on), and was investigating the contents when I heard voices and noticed walkers on the path just 20 feet from where I was!

(Expletive deleted)

[This message has been edited by Lost in Space (edited 20 November 2001).]

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space:

I ain't going that far...........

The cache-placer's story was much the same though icon_wink.gif

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
Originally posted by Lost in Space: