UK Geocaching Waypoints

Guest Lisa

Hi. As Monz seems to have stopped updating his list of UK waypoints, I'll offer my page at www.cook ie.demon.co.uk/geocache/

(don't know why but I get an illegal HTML tag error when I try to submit with the cookie joined up)

I've got files suitable for Garmin Mapsource v3 and v4, EzyGps and a csv file suitable for importing into Autoroute Express (and probably others). If you want any other text formats (or binary formats if you have a spec), let me know and I'll see if I can add them.

I'll try and update the files twice a week or so.

Cheers,

Rob.

quite a lot of abuse in the forum so I decided it would be best to not bother at all. Q.E.D.

But like the Murphy's... I'm not bitter icon_biggrin.gif

PS Well done Rob and Lisa for picking this up and continuing the service for other cachers, might even get the files myself if you dont mind icon_smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Monz (edited 21 January 2002).]

Just to enlighten those that havent been around too long there are two reasons I stopped doing this for everyone... the first being that I have taken on lots more at work and so time is limited (I don't even keep an up to date list for myself at the moment). And secondly because the way I chose to keep the list I used did not comply with the way some other users liked it to be I got quite a lot of abuse in the forum so I decided it would be best to not bother at all. Q.E.D.

PS Well done Rob and Lisa for picking this up and continuing the service for other cachers, might even get the files myself if you dont mind icon_smile.gif

Just to enlighten those that havent been around too long there are two reasons I stopped doing this for everyone... the first being that I have taken on lots more at work and so time is limited (I don't even keep an up to date list for myself at the moment). And secondly because the way I chose to keep the list I used did not comply with the way some other users liked it to be I got quite a lot of abuse in the forum so I decided it would be best to not bother at all. Q.E.D.

quite a lot of abuse in the forum so I decided it would be best to not bother at all. Q.E.D.

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Rob & Lisa:

Hi. As Monz seems to have stopped updating his list of UK waypoints, I'll offer my page at www.cook ie.demon.co.uk/geocache/

(don't know why but I get an illegal HTML tag error when I try to submit with the cookie joined up)

B]

I was just wondering if the broken link might be because the URL is across two lines? Have you tried giving it a line to itself, I wonder?

I've downloaded the Autoroute CSV and the Mapsource, Version 4, files OK, but the EasyGPS link brings up a load of raw HTML (Like this:-

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

-

-

-

- < ![CDATA[ Northern Cache Bash 02/02/02

]]>

etc., etc.)

Not sure why that happens?

Cheers.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest DaveGeo

I downloaded the Autoroute version yesterday and it worked a treat on Autoroute 2001.

Just saved it to the desktop as a .csv file and imported it into Autoroute.

Really useful.

Thanks

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

I was just wondering if the broken link might be because the URL is across two lines? Have you tried giving it a line to itself, I wonder?

I've downloaded the Autoroute CSV and the Mapsource, Version 4, files OK, but the EasyGPS link brings up a load of raw HTML (Like this:-

<?xml version="1.0" ?>

-

-

-

- < ![CDATA[ Northern Cache Bash 02/02/02

]]>

etc., etc.)

Not sure why that happens?

Cheers.

quote:

No, that's not it. I've got a feeling it thinks my URL has something to to with web cookies (as opposed to the name of our dog).

Here's another try not containing the word cookie:

http://www.ookie.demon.co.uk/geocache/

quote:

I've downloaded the Autoroute CSV and the Mapsource, Version 4, files OK, but the EasyGPS link brings up a load of raw HTML

The EasyGPS format is XML and your browser thinks it knows how to deal with it by itself. Just right click on the link and select "Save Target As..." then save it somewhere and open it in EasyGPS manually.

Cheers,

Rob.

Guest Morseman

quote:

[bThe EasyGPS format is XML and your browser thinks it knows how to deal with it by itself. Just right click on the link and select "Save Target As..." then save it somewhere and open it in EasyGPS manually.

Cheers,

Rob.[/b]

Still having problems :-(

The link with the word 'ookies' brings up an error saying that the site is not reachable.

Adding the 'C' in gets me to the page OK, but when I right clicked the EasyGPS file the option "Save Target As" was greyed out.

Ah well, at least the MapSource file works so I don't really need the EasyGPS file I guess.

Having all the UK caches in one file is very useful. Thanks.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:

The link with the word 'ookies' brings up an error saying that the site is not reachable.

Yeah, that was just a test to confirm that it was the message board software incorrectly rejecting my url rather than me doing something wrong.

quote:

Adding the 'C' in gets me to the page OK, but when I right clicked the EasyGPS file the option "Save Target As" was greyed out.

Hmm. Not seen that one before. How about if you just click on it normally (and get the text in your browser), then use the File|Save As menu to save it?

[This message has been edited by Rob & Lisa (edited 23 January 2002).]

>quote:

Hmm. Not seen that one before. How about if you just click on it normally (and get the text in your browser), then use the File|Save As menu to save it?

Guest Morseman

I'll give that a go as well.

Now I'm back home I'll see if this set up behaves differently.

As I say, the MapSource V3 file is fine (I only found out that I needed V3 rather than V4 when I tried loading V4. Ooops!)

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

quote:

quote:

Yeah, that was just a test to confirm that it was the message board software incorrectly rejecting my url rather than me doing something wrong.

quote:

Done it!

I had to go to the web page, click on the EasyGPS file link and then, when i had the HTML formatted page shown, use 'CTRL-A' to select all of the text and then save it all as a .loc file to the EasyGPS directory.

Then it worked fine. :-)

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Hi. Just to let you know that I've added html pages with links to all the UK caches sorted by name, age and latitude and each also has a streetmap.co.uk link too.

Cheers,

Rob.

Guest Morseman

quote:

Hi. Just to let you know that I've added html pages with links to all the UK caches sorted by name, age and latitude and each also has a streetmap.co.uk link too.

Cheers,

Rob.

All works well here, particularly like the map system. Very useful for seeing which map I need to take. In fact, for some caches, I might print the tile with the cache in it, just so that I don't need to keep refolding the map as I approach the point. icon_smile.gif

Well done Rob.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

quote:

Cheers,

Rob.

All works well here, particularly like the map system. Very useful for seeing which map I need to take. In fact, for some caches, I might print the tile with the cache in it, just so that I don't need to keep refolding the map as I approach the point. icon_smile.gif

Well done Rob.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:

All works well here, particularly like the map system. Very useful for seeing which map I need to take. In fact, for some caches, I might print the tile with the cache in it, just so that I don't need to keep refolding the map as I approach the point.

That's good. Incidently, the link to the map now contains the OSGB grid reference to the point. Other changes are (TB) after the cache name for caches that may contain a Travel Bug and links on the "Hidden By" column to other caches hidden by that person and "Last Found" column for all the caches found by that person.

Cheers,

Rob.

Guest Kimrobin

Rob,

Is there an easy way to change the way that the points are displaed on the map in mapsource?

You have the points displayed as Symbol & Name - I prefer them to show as Symbol and Description so I can see the name of the cache on the map and not the Number.

Is there an easy way to change this?

Cheers

Alex.

Hi. I've changed the mps files to show Symbol and Description. If anyone really wants the old Symbol and Name, let me know and I'll sort something out. It's pretty easy to write a perl script to do a batch convert of a file.

Cheers,

Rob.

Guest ingha_j

Great work Rob & Lisa... I have imported all these to Autoroute 2001, which really makes it easy to see if I'm anywhere near a Geocache when I go away...so THANK YOU!

What I'm also really excited about is I just found a way of getting Autoroute to update my position EVERY SECOND rather than every 20 or so seconds as its meant to, using my etrex :-)

Best

James

Guest DaveGeo

en patched works brilliantly. It reduces the update from 15sec down to 2sec (or whatever value you enter) an easy way to do it is via a small prog available at :-http://www.skisland.com/gps/ If anyone has managed to patch Autoroute 2002 please post how as I have not managed this and it is totally useless with a 15sec update. You easily can drive past a junction before the updated position, which is not much use on Motorways!

Dave

[This message has been edited by DaveGeo (edited 12 February 2002).]

Guest DaveGeo

quote:

What I'm also really excited about is I just found a way of getting Autoroute to update my position EVERY SECOND rather than every 20 or so seconds as its meant to, using my etrex :-)

[/b]

Autoroute 2001 when patched works brilliantly. It reduces the update from 15sec down to 2sec (or whatever value you enter) an easy way to do it is via a small prog available at :-http://www.skisland.com/gps/ If anyone has managed to patch Autoroute 2002 please post how as I have not managed this and it is totally useless with a 15sec update. You easily can drive past a junction before the updated position, which is not much use on Motorways!

Dave

[This message has been edited by DaveGeo (edited 12 February 2002).]

Hi. Yes there was a problem that kimrobin let me know about. Geocaching.com changed the coordinates I was reading from the cache pages to only show 2 decimal places for lat and lon so all the files will be off. I've redone it again with the correct coordinates. When you download it again check that the number of waypoints is 281.

Cheers,

Rob.

Originally posted by DaveGeo:

Autoroute 2001 when patched works brilliantly. It reduces the update from 15sec down to 2sec (or whatever value you enter) an easy way to do it is via a small prog available at :-http://www.skisland.com/gps/

I can't see the patch at the url , is there anywhere else to get it ?

Guest DaveGeo

Go to :- http://www.skisland.com/gps/

On the left hand menu select software, on the new page that appears select AutoRoute 2001 Update Patch.

Let me know if you still have problems finding this or installing the patch.

Regards

Dave

quote:
Originally posted by page28:

Autoroute 2001 when patched works brilliantly. It reduces the update from 15sec down to 2sec (or whatever value you enter) an easy way to do it is via a small prog available at :-http://www.skisland.com/gps/

I can't see the patch at the url , is there anywhere else to get it ?

Hmm that works fine here at work under IE5.5, at home all I got was a grey box on the left, must be somethine to do with IE6

Thanks

quote:

Go to :- http://www.skisland.com/gps/

On the left hand menu select software, on the new page that appears select AutoRoute 2001 Update Patch.

Let me know if you still have problems finding this or installing the patch.

Regards

Dave

Guest Whizz Kid

quote:

Hi. Yes there was a problem that kimrobin let me know about.

Thank goodness. I wondered why finding one of the caches was so 'interesting'!

Whizz