Ethical Dilema

Guest chris n maria

Guest chris n maria

We recently went looking for the Prime Meridian Cache, and didn't find it. We logged it as missing in action. It has now been "offically" marked as missing and changed into a virtual cache.

Should I go back and log it as a find now? after all we did find that it is not there and we have visited what is now the virtual cache site.

Would logging it again be "cheating"? I wouldn't like to mess up the league tables after all eek.gif

Comments would be appreciated.

------------------

~~~~~

Chris

Guest Moss Trooper

Hi

If you visited the spot and it has now been changed to a virtual, I have no problem with logging it as a find. How can it be cheating if you were there!!! Or you could nip back and do it officially icon_smile.gif assuming a nip back don't take a 4 hour car trip icon_smile.gif

As for league tables!!! I wouldn't worry too much about them, unless your in this for competitive reasons. Most folks are in it just to enjoy it as a fun thing.

Moss de Boss.. sorta!!! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 06 February 2002).]

Guest Moss Trooper

Hi

If you visited the spot and it has now been changed to a virtual, I have no problem with logging it as a find. How can it be cheating if you were there!!! Or you could nip back and do it officially icon_smile.gif assuming a nip back don't take a 4 hour car trip icon_smile.gif

As for league tables!!! I wouldn't worry too much about them, unless your in this for competitive reasons. Most folks are in it just to enjoy it as a fun thing.

Moss de Boss.. sorta!!! icon_biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by Moss Trooper (edited 06 February 2002).]

Guest jeremyp

First of all, the "league table" is not official and should not be taken seriously - it's not a competition. Secondly, you logged your first visit as "not found" so it won't count towards your total.

Since it's been changed to a virtual cache and you *did* go there (i.e. take the time out to visit), I think you should add another log saying "found it" for the same day with some text in saying why you are logging it. If the cache owner objects, you can always delete it again, but I don't think they will.

I'm pretty sure that geocaching was not designed as a competitive sport, so the "caches found" stat is only a bit of fun. If you cheat, the only person you are really cheating is yourself.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest Kimrobin

Don't see anything wrong with logging it as a find.

If the box wasn't there, it wasn't your fault.

We did a few caches in Paris and quite a number had gone, but the "evidence" of their previous existance i.e. the glue was still there. We emailed the cache owner to tell him that they had gone and he made them virtual. We still claimed them as finds.

Alex & Kim.

Guest chris n maria

Okey Dokey,

I'll log it then. It's just that I was trying to keep my logs page with all smilies and no frownies (is that what you call them ?).

I was kidding about the league tables after all the way to get up the top seems to be to place loads and loads of caches -then you don't have to find so many. Which doesn't strike me as playing the game. rolleyes.gif

Thanks for your input folks.

------------------

~~~~~

Chris

Guest jeremyp

I don't worry about a pristine log. I like to keep my log as a true and accurate record of my geocaching activities which means being honest about showing failures to find caches. In a way, it's almost more satisfying when your log shows a failure and then later on, a successful attempt.

In the specific case you are talking about, I probably would delete the "couldn't find it" log, but, in general, I leave such logs and just add a "found it" log as well.

On another ethical issue, if I was to go geocaching with someone else who was a geocacher and we jointly found a cache, could we both log it as a find?

Sorry if this is a naive question - I am so new to this that I haven't even started yet!

Guest Luggage

Oh goodie!!

I guess this means that we can log the finds we made with Timp and wife, we started caching as a foursome (oh, er, missus)in August or September, but then started on our own in November, when we managed to nick Timps' GPS for a while!!

Does anyone have any objections to this - our names are in the logbooks along side Timps'.

Rincewind & Luggage

------------------

To infinity - and the cache!!

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

On another ethical issue, if I was to go geocaching with someone else who was a geocacher and we jointly found a cache, could we both log it as a find?

Sorry if this is a naive question - I am so new to this that I haven't even started yet!

Yes, you can in my opinion. After all you did go there, you did see the cache, you did put your name in the log.

Of course, you're making a naiive assumption that we will actually *find* some caches on Saturday :-)

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Of course, you're making a naiive assumption that we will actually *find* some caches on Saturday :-)

I hope I won't come away from the experience disillusioned. There is, of course, an onus on you to ensure we *do* find something and I am consequently hooked for life. I hope you are good at bearing that level of resposibility.