How many birds?

Guest WaspMan

Guest WaspMan

What is the most number of good signals you have had at any one time?

I was in N Notts yesterday, facing due east and was amazed to see that I had a strong lock on nine or ten birds.

There was only one space on the display of the Vista that didn't show a black bar signal.

When I found the cache the display showed 4ft when I was standing at the cache site.

Amazing.

Waspman.

Guest dylanhayes

Has anybody noticed that some time the GPS is more accurate then the accuracy reading suggests? On two caches yesterday the predicted location was bang on within a metre of the actual. yet the uncertaincy was predicted at > 19 feet. In both cases the signal was very very good as they were in open areas.

On the other hand it suprising how badly GPS works in heavily built up areas, as the sky is obstructed. Navigating around city centres is hard with GPS. I have tried with limited sucess in London, Leeds and York, and in the end conceded that sometimes a good old A-Z works better. I remember some years ago the US FCC (federal communication commision) had this idea about putting GPS into mobile phones so as to be able locate emergency callers. It would have been a waste of time unless emergencies occured outside in open areas, where ironically you may not even get a phone signal as US mobile phone coverage is still patchy outside cities.

Get on high ground and my Vista regularily shows 8 or 9 bars. As to accuracy, I was standing over MATTERDALE last week and the navigation page showed I was 0.75ft away! Believe it if you will.

In town it all depends on how high the buildings are and where the satellites are. If you start with a position it will usually keep in touch but getting a fix after it has been off can be difficult. After the Northern Cache Bash I met up with my family by using the street map of York and it worked even in the Shambles!

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by dylanhayes:

Has anybody noticed that some time the GPS is more accurate then the accuracy reading suggests? On two caches yesterday the predicted location was bang on within a metre of the actual. yet the uncertaincy was predicted at > 19 feet. In both cases the signal was very very good as they were in open areas.

Well of course, uncertainty of 19ft just means there is a reasonably high probability that you are within 19ft of the location. It doesn't mean you are exactly 19ft away - or even more than 19ft.

quote:

On the other hand it suprising how badly GPS works in heavily built up areas, as the sky is obstructed. Navigating around city centres is hard with GPS. I have tried with limited sucess in London, Leeds and York, and in the end conceded that sometimes a good old A-Z works better.

I had this problem with the Sherlock caches. The solution is to plot the waypoints on something like Autoroute or streetmap.co.uk an take a print out with you. Anything that obscures line of site to a satellite will reduce your ability to get a signal.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

12 birds twice. Once in the middle of nowhere with flat paddocks for probably 100kms in every direction and the other time on top of Australia.

------------------

It's out there...let's go get it!