Traving to your neck of the woods from USA

Guest HomeChicken

Guest HomeChicken

Traveling to London, United Kingdom from California, USA in about a month and was going to purchase the Mapsource metroguide for europe to help us on our travels.. Is there anything I should know about? Like is there "AA" Batteries for my etrex legend there, will the unit work so far from home, is it worth taking so we don't get lost, ect. ? any advise would be very nice from you all.

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux 3/3

Urban Jungle 3/3

Rising sun over Chicken Coop 5/5

Disneyland Geocaching 1/1

Can You C What I C? 2/3.5

Need to rate your own Cache?

Geocache Rating System

Guest jeremyp

anning to stick to London and do some site seeing, a good London streetmap such as the London A to Z would be a better investment and cheaper, frankly. GPS signals tend to be intermittant in the large built up parts of London.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest jeremyp

Yes, your GPS will work (the G stands for "Global" :-) )

Yes you can get AA batteries over here. If you do any caches while you're here, you'll find it's common practice to put them in caches as part of the goodies.

Should you buy the Map Source CD - I don't know, it depends on what you are planning to do. If you are just planning to stick to London and do some site seeing, a good London streetmap such as the London A to Z would be a better investment and cheaper, frankly. GPS signals tend to be intermittant in the large built up parts of London.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?

Guest HomeChicken

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Yes, your GPS will work (the G stands for "Global" :-) )

Yes you can get AA batteries over here. If you do any caches while you're here, you'll find it's common practice to put them in caches as part of the goodies.

Should you buy the Map Source CD - I don't know, it depends on what you are planning to do. If you are just planning to stick to London and do some site seeing, a good London streetmap such as the London A to Z would be a better investment and cheaper, frankly. GPS signals tend to be intermittant in the large built up parts of London.

Taking in all the info i'm getting and all is being absorbed, Thats to funny about the "G" in GPS..that would answer my question if i actually thought about it..but thats what forums are for...to not to think and not worry since no one knows who you are! DOH!

------------------

Bought a eTrex Legend on 7/24/01

I was part of or placed these Caches

Sun rising over Mt.Rubidoux 3/3

Urban Jungle 3/3

Rising sun over Chicken Coop 5/5

Disneyland Geocaching 1/1

Can You C What I C? 2/3.5

Need to rate your own Cache?

Geocache Rating System

Guest element14

quote:
Originally posted by HomeChicken:

Traveling to London, United Kingdom from California, USA in about a month ..... Is there anything I should know about? Like is there "AA" Batteries for my etrex legend there, will the unit work so far from home, is it worth taking so we don't get lost, ect. ?

Having done the trip the other way, and wondering why my etrex wouldn't work, you will also need to "tell" your etrex where you are when you get to London, otherwise it will be "looking" for the satellites in the positions they are in when you last used the unit in California.

You can do this through the setup screens in the main menu (sorry can't remember exactly how to do it off the top of my head) - either type in your coordinates, or use the point to it on the map.

I may be wrong, but I think the US and Euro versions of the etrex legend have a different base map (yours is likely to have the pacific region map installed)

Mapsource might therefore be a good purchase to navigate around with especially if you plan to come back often.

Good luck

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by element14:

You can do this through the setup screens in the main menu (sorry can't remember exactly how to do it off the top of my head) - either type in your coordinates, or use the point to it on the map.

Good luck

My eTrex Summit tries to find the satellites and if it fails it asks you first if you are indoors and then where you are if you answer "no".

Guest The Relic Hunters

R>Like to see the Lake District.[ icon_smile.gif] If not [ V ]

Hope you have a Really good time over here.[ icon_biggrin.gif]

[This message has been edited by The Relic Hunters (edited 26 February 2002).]

Guest The Relic Hunters

Are you going to be in the london area.

Or will you be getting up to the north

of the UK as well.[ ? ]

Like to see the Lake District.[ icon_smile.gif] If not [ V ]

Guest The Relic Hunters

Are you going to be in the london area.

Or will you be getting up to the north

of the UK as well.[ ? ]

Like to see the Lake District.[ icon_smile.gif] If not [ V ]

Guest The Relic Hunters

R>Like to see the Lake District.[ icon_smile.gif] If not [ V ]

Shamelessly promoting my own 'cache' but if you are interested in American history, plan a day to visit 'Sulgrave Manor' the cache is called 'George Washington'