WAAS & EGNOS

Guest Huscarl

Guest Huscarl

Does anyone know if WAAS receivers (Etrex Vista in particular) is compatible with the European proposed euivalent, EGNOS i.e. will a WAAS capable Etrex work with EGNOS?

Cheers

Guest dylanhayes

I asked about this in a thread some time ago as it interested me, and I trawled through the various websites. From what I gather the EGNOS signal is being transmitted (intermittantly in this test phase) from two IMARSAT geostationary sats sitting above the equator over the the eastern atlantic and the indian ocean.

So, I decided to test if it actually works, I made sure I had a clear view of southern skies. I then followed the steps in the Garmin manual which says you have to turn on WAAS and turn off battery saver (which I did) and then WAAS will work. Doing this failed to get EGNOS to work alas.

Has anybody else got it to work? On a garmin unit you should see an indication in the sat signal strength display. Incidently the manual also said that sat numbers over and above 33 are WAAS (or equivelent) birds. I saw a few with higher numbers which wouldn't ever 'lock', anybody know what they are, or am I suffer GPS delusions?

[This message has been edited by dylanhayes (edited 08 February 2002).]

Yes I have had WAAS working in the UK but the error level got worse... on my vista I got bird 35 i think and all the sats had a "D" on the bar to indicate WAAS. The reason for the increased error is that the European WAAS bird is still in test mode.

Leave WAAS off till they tell us its working icon_biggrin.gif

Yes I have had WAAS working in the UK but the error level got worse... on my vista I got bird 35 i think and all the sats had a "D" on the bar to indicate WAAS. The reason for the increased error is that the European WAAS bird is still in test mode.

Leave WAAS off till they tell us its working icon_biggrin.gif

Guest dylanhayes

I also had WAAS (well EGNOS) working today in Whitby. The little D comes up in the sat display (not sure what number the EGNOS bird is). The accuracy doesn't seem to improve, if anything it gets worse. It is very picky about a clear view to the south, and even then it doesn't always seem to work.

Guest jeremyp

It's not due to go live until 2004 and is currently broadcasting a test signal on only two satellites. Of course it's not very good yet.

------------------

Why use one word when two polysyllabic agglomerates will do?