Heads up info

Tim & June

I though I would post a quick "heads up".

Saw Paul's note on the forum about paying for a "permission certificate". In the USA, these certificates are limited to a 4 month period and must be renewed after that period or the cache must be removed and they only permit the placing of a single cache. I hope they have not got the same idea here, this might be the thin end of the wedge.

I am in contact with "Forest Enterprise" (at HQ level) to attempt to get an agreement on geocaching at a national level. The person I am talking to is responsible for ENCOURAGING the public to visit and is in full support of geocaching.

I tend to find that dealing with people at comittee or local level seems to evoke a "Don't-know-too-much-about-this, better-cover-arse-and-say-no" type of response.

We also have contact with the next larget land managers in the UK, "English Nature". We are working with them to produce NOT rules, but a list of "Things you might not know about the country". Things along the lines of "Dont go thrashing through the heather, it disturbs ground nesting birds like "The Dartford Warbler".

As I said, these will NOT be rules. but constructive guidance. We can then demonstrate to land managers that we are being responsible and we are more likely to be respected.

Just thought you should all know.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Excellent news indeed, once there are some national organisations on board then we can cite precedent to others.

We've long needed to address the issue of landowner permission on a group basis and I'm delighted to hear that you've taken the initiative - well done.

If you need help drafting / checking letters, making phone calls etc then I'd be happy to help.

Dave