Winter Is On The Way

Guest BumbleBee

Guest BumbleBee

The winter weather will be upon us soon so I was wondering if we should add a comment to our own cache descriptions stating wether or not they are accessible in snow/ice etc.

Most of the caches I have found would be accessible in snow but one, Waterfalls Spectacular, would best be avoided in such weather.

Is the terrain rating enough to give you an idea?

Any comments on this?

------------------

-Emma-

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:
Originally posted by BumbleBee:

The winter weather will be upon us soon so I was wondering if we should add a comment to our own cache descriptions stating wether or not they are accessible in snow/ice etc.

Most of the caches I have found would be accessible in snow but one, Waterfalls Spectacular, would best be avoided in such weather.

Is the terrain rating enough to give you an idea?

Any comments on this?

Agree with you there Bumblebee, your right to think "safety" as yet no one has done any in the winter and as for some of the one's in Northumberland as well as the yorkshire dales the mist can come down on you very fast in the winter,and we dont want accidents to our fello cachers

------------------

The Northumbrian

[This message has been edited by The Northumbrian (edited 20 October 2001).]

Makes sense to have a winter suitability note on - or perhaps a general 'adverse weather' suitability note, because I know you can see all 4 seasons in the space of an hour in the Cheviots, and at any time of the year.

[This message has been edited by JasonW (edited 18 October 2001).]

Guest BumbleBee

I've also updated my cache description and Jason's added notes to those of his that will be affected by adverse weather conditions.

------------------

-Emma-

Don't know about snow/ice.....but if anyone is plannin' to do either of my caches this weekend yule probably need a snorkel and some flippers as well as yer GPS icon_biggrin.gif. Seriously though, it is a good idea to advise about cache/weather suitability...thanx fer making the point Bumblebee.

(Geocachers don't hibernate eh!)

Don't know about snow/ice.....but if anyone is plannin' to do either of my caches this weekend yule probably need a snorkel and some flippers as well as yer GPS icon_biggrin.gif. Seriously though, it is a good idea to advise about cache/weather suitability...thanx fer making the point Bumblebee.

(Geocachers don't hibernate eh!)

Guest theGophers

Winter schminter. can anyone tell the difference between seasons in this country. personally I wouldnt drag my family to any caches if the weather wasnt perfect. i would trust the TV forecasts as much as I could throw them and I certainly would'nt think twice about turning back from a cache hunt if the hunt was more difficult then implied or the weather turned.

Here here Bumblebee safty first and sad tecnoAnoracks like ourselves second.

PS anyone down south want to set up a floating cache?

Another thing to consider is how many of these summer caches will be uncovered over winter as foliage disappears. I know one of mine is less concealed than it was when I placed it.

Just having a chat with Tim about this subject, as the path to the Room 101 cache can be a bit risky in wet or icy conditions. (Speaking from experience, came down part of Beacon Hill rather faster than expected on one occasion last year!)

I guess it's probably wise to cover every eventuality and warn people about it. For example, take a look at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=2537 where the cache author puts his own disclaimer on the bottom, about the times not to attempt the cache.

Other things worth bearing in mind may be what else is in, or near, the cache location, for example livestock. This can have an effect on whether cachers can take dogs along. (For example Rob and Lisa usually take their dog with them). Beacon Hill now has warnings posted in the car park that there is livestock grazing at the top, although it hasn't always had them. In the case of other caches Meridian Snake certainly didn't when I visited - the cache is in a field of cattle and horses.

I think, although most of us on here would be responsible and look at where caches are before we go, there are a number of logs on caches from people, usually new cachers, who just look up a cache on the site, plug in the coordinates, and go. At the very least warning about things like these would remove the disappointment of driving to a cache only to find it inaccessible, at the most it may avert an accident.

Richard

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
to cover every eventuality and warn people

Nearer home, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11219 has a clear warning in the description itself. Hard to miss. icon_smile.gif

quote:
what else is in, or near, the cache

Has anyone yet put together a checklist of the things not to forget when describing a cache? Might help new cache-hiders to avoid silly mistakes...

quote:
Meridian Snake certainly didn't when I visited - the cache is in a field of cattle and horses.

...though it's not that far from a major public footpath. Can we assume standard countryside code applies?

quote:
look up a cache on the site, plug in the coordinates, and go

How much common sense is it reasonable to assume cache hunters will have? ;>

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

[This message has been edited by LazyLeopard (edited 11 December 2001).]

Guest LazyLeopard

quote:
to cover every eventuality and warn people

Nearer home, http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=11219 has a clear warning in the description itself. Hard to miss. icon_smile.gif

quote:
what else is in, or near, the cache

Has anyone yet put together a checklist of the things not to forget when describing a cache? Might help new cache-hiders to avoid silly mistakes...

quote:
Meridian Snake certainly didn't when I visited - the cache is in a field of cattle and horses.

...though it's not that far from a major public footpath. Can we assume standard countryside code applies?

quote:
look up a cache on the site, plug in the coordinates, and go

How much common sense is it reasonable to assume cache hunters will have? ;>

------------------

Purrs... LazyLeopard

[This message has been edited by LazyLeopard (edited 11 December 2001).]