Starting a travel bug

Guest dougandsonia

Guest dougandsonia

I'm sure this is a silly question, but that's never stopped me before.

How do I log the existence of a new travel bug - it's not an "official" bug with an "official" tag, but he wants to see the world and I'm not sure how to make his existence obvious in our new (and first) hidden cache. Any help gratefully received.

Doug

Not sure about this as i am relatively new, but don'nt you NEED to have the official tags in order to designate something as a travel bug on the geocaching site? i think you need to complete a field stating the ID number of the tag.

Might be wrong though.

Hi,

Just noticed that you have not yet had a reply to your query. Not very welcoming is it ?

Sorry.

I think in this case it is more correctly considered a 'Traveller' or 'Hitch-Hiker'. The 'Travel Bug' is really a term created by Jeremy (creator of the Geocaching.com website) to describe his dog-tag type logging system you see here.

A T.Bug makes it easy to follow the progress and current location (hopfully) of your traveller by keeping a log on the website. A bonus is that you can change the goal of your traveller.

If you don't use a T.Bug you will have to show your travellers progress yourself, if you wish to, and you will have to attach a tag (perhaps laminated card) describing it's goal.

We have released two travellers. One is simply a travelling logbook which says :

'Please make an entry (saying anything you like) on a new page and place me in another cache' and 'Out of interest, please e-mail us with a copy of your entry.'

We are hoping that the entries will be interesting enough to put on a website for everyone to enjoy.

The other traveller we released was a Teddy Bear about 2 inches high with the goal of just traveling wherever the cachers took him. He went to a couple of caches here in the UK before going to Japan, New Zealand and finally went missing in California. Too much to repeat here, but if your'e interested take a look at www.gulliverbear.co.uk.

Good luck and happy caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

Guest dougandsonia

Thanks to all, Tim and June particularly. It was reading about Gulliver that gave us the idea of sending Miffy on her way from WildNess. Thanks for the replies: I'll get the hang of this yet!

Doug