Help needed

Silver fox

I have a Magellan 315 That is not working at present. When you switch it on you get no satelite positions and no satelite signal chart I have reinitialized it all to no avail if you leave it on for a while it comes up " no pos" on the satelite position screen. It would be great if someone out there could help me. Many thanks

If no-one here can help, then try a posting in the main Forum under "GPS Units and Software". Some of the guys out there really do know their stuff !!

John

To the optimist, the glass is half full. To the pessimist, the glass is half empty. To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

quote:
Originally posted by Silver fox:

I have a Magellan 315 That is not working at present. When you switch it on you get no satelite positions and no satelite signal chart I have reinitialized it all to no avail if you leave it on for a while it comes up " no pos" on the satelite position screen. It would be great if someone out there could help me. Many thanks

id agree you might try the gps forum.

also have you tried contacting magellan to see what it cost and where you would send it to have them check it out?

whack.gif

Just a thought, I have a Mag315 and had to reinitialise after I left the batteries out too long. Have you selected the the correct gegraphical area ? i.e. Europe then United Kingdom. Then a rough longitude and latitude if the default is too far out it will not find the correct sats from its built in almanac.

I know if you move more than about 300 miles from its last position without it being switched on it has to be initialised again.

Took the batteries out and tried it today after doing the coords I had to correct the date as it had defaulted to 09:00 12 Aug 01 you might check this as before that the gps showed no pos and no bars in the graphical display, as soon as the time and date was correct aquisition of sats and location were complete in a minute.

Hope this helps.

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

Took the batteries out and tried it today after doing the coords I had to correct the date as it had defaulted to 09:00 12 Aug 01 you might check this as before that the gps showed no pos and no bars in the graphical display, as soon as the time and date was correct aquisition of sats and location were complete in a minute.

Hope this helps.

so the batteries were in wrong? or just about dead? icon_confused.gif

whack.gif37_gp_logo88x31.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:
Originally posted by adrianjohn:

Hope this helps.

so the batteries were in wrong? or just about dead? icon_confused.gif

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/whack.gif http://www.gpgeocaching.com/

I dont know if the originator of this thread has read any of the reply posts or tried out my suggestions, my second post I admit was possibly not as clear as I could have made it. I was trying to say that by leaving out the batteries of my mag315 I could make it report "no pos" and get no indication of sat signals, by going through the whole initialise procedure, correct operation was restored quickly. In order to set up a mag315 ( or any other GPSr I would assume) you must provide it with an approximate location and it should also know the time and date to be able to predict the sat positions it will recieve its data from.

Over to you now Silver fox, have you solved your problem? If you have please let us know the answers.

AdrianJohn: Not all GPSrs need this bizarre reinitialization. Garmin eTrexes (and some other Gramins too) have Garmin's AutoLocate software that takes about 5 minutes to get a lock, but doesn't need any initializing. It just sits there finding whichever satellites it can.

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**