Cache Density

June and I have been criticised on this UK Newsgroup for planting 35 Lovelock caches between central London and Newbury, most of which are within 15 miles of me. I suggest those who think this is a large number look at the caches around this lat/lon: 47.617 -122.132 - Jeremy Irish's location in Belleview,WA,USA. I have a URL to a map out to 15 mile radius: but the URL would no doubt be censored :-)

But this is not the most dense cluster in USA: I understand from a Geocacher friend on west coast of USA that bigger and denser clusters are to be found near San Francisco and Sacramento. Why not experiment via Buxley's maps ?

Here is a quote from part of his email to me >>>

The result is a diversity of caches, which range from a 1/1 to a 5/5, and a diversity of cachers - some are wheel-chair bound, some are competitive(highest number of first to find), some are eXtreme types, who enjoy the mental and physical challenges, and some like to plant caches more than finding them (I've met one cacher who has found 89 caches and planted 92).

<<<

I suggest we learn from those who have been doing it a little longer than us in the UK, and without GeoTrashing.

Robin Lovelock

quote:
Originally posted by Robin and June:

But this is not the most dense cluster in USA: I understand from a Geocacher friend on west coast of USA that bigger and denser clusters are to be found near San Francisco and Sacramento.

And how many active geocachers are there in that area?

I picked a random cache in the SF/Sacramento cluster. Of the 150 nearest caches there were only NINE caches rated 1/1. The rest of them had a fair spread of ratings up to 3.5/3.5.

Lets say that you did put you 35 caches back on the geocaching.com system. Including those and Tony Wale's SP series and others, there would then be over FIFTY caches rated 1/1 within 10 miles of your front door. And you still say you want to plant more.

I suggest we learn from those who have been doing it a little longer than us in the UK, and realise that QUALITY is much more important than QUANTITY.

Alex.

If you wish to compare the UK with other Countries/States you must compare like with like.

Yes the density of caches in California is higher than in the UK, but then again they have many more cachers. The table below contains data collected from Geocaching.com, Dan Jarvis' stats page and a World Atlas.

It clearly shows that the area of land available per CACHER in California is as low as 40 square miles in which he can place his caches whilst in the UK each cacher has 197 square miles to play with. No surprise that there is a higher density of caches in California.

comparison.gif

[This message was edited by timp on March 07, 2002 at 04:52 AM.]

(I've met one cacher who has found 89 caches and planted 92).

Did the cacher include his/her business web address on those 92 cache pages, and refuse to communicate with people unless contacted by telephone/email ?

Stop trying to play the wounded soldier Robin, concerns were aired way back when you started planting caches for England, but rather than taking heed of those concerns, you just carried on regardless. And,as you don't come across as being stupid, one can only assume that you don't care how your activities are perceived.

I am not stupid either and not fooled by your comments of wanting to get people away from their T.V, your motives are purely self promotional,as admitted by you on one of your "find" logs.

The fact that you are looking at the density of caches in USA is just another example of you trying to justify the quantity of caches that you have planted.

You're incapable of playing this game in the right spirit, which is probably the reason why someone decided to trash some of your caches.

Whilst I don't condone the trashing, I have no sympathy..you've brought it on yourself!

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what this post achieves. Robin has conceded on all points except the density of caches. Regurgitating the past history of all this just perpetuates the bad feeling and stops us from moving forward. If Robin is lying, it will be pretty obvious fairly soon and then we can start complaining again, but for now can we try to stop tearing each other apart.

quote:
Originally posted by f-stop:

_(I've met one cacher who has found 89 caches and planted 92)._

Did the cacher include his/her business web address on those 92 cache pages, and refuse to communicate with people unless contacted by telephone/email ?

Stop trying to play the wounded soldier Robin, concerns were aired way back when you started planting caches for England, but rather than taking heed of those concerns, you just carried on regardless. And,as you don't come across as being stupid, one can only assume that you don't care how your activities are perceived.

I am not stupid either and not fooled by your comments of wanting to get people away from their T.V, your motives are purely self promotional,as admitted by you on one of your "find" logs.

The fact that you are looking at the density of caches in USA is just another example of you trying to justify the quantity of caches that you have planted.

You're incapable of playing this game in the right spirit, which is probably the reason why someone decided to trash some of your caches.

Whilst I don't condone the trashing, I have no sympathy..you've brought it on yourself!

-------

We're going to need a bigger boat!