Caching eithics question

Guest dylanhayes

Guest dylanhayes

I would like to place my first cache. I have found an interesting location, with no other caches for some miles. The proposed location has an interesting twist to it that I have not seen before (correct me if it has been done before). The twist is the location is only accessible at low tide, in fact access is dependant on being there an hour either side of low tide on a calm day. Thus there is a risk that an ill prepared cacher could get stuck by the rising tide which does happen reference the man and child drowned on Morecambe bay at the start of Jan. If I place this cache and somebody get stuck and needs rescuing or worse yet drowns because of tide or sea state is there any liability on myself or this website? Would such a event bring the hobby into ill repute with the media? ('Dangerous hobby kills family' headlines etc) My plan is not to place an impossible or highly danagerous to find geocache, but I would like to make one which requires a little bit more planning for the seeker other than just finding it on the map.

I aim to clearly state the dangers of the location and place in links to tide tables , weather and sea state so cachers can plan ahead to see if the location is accessible before setting off. And to repeat myself this is *not* a kamikazi cache, but one with a little bit more risk attached to it that simply wandering around some woods.

Your opinions please! If I don't get any negative feedback I will plant the cache next weekend.

PS, the area in question is near Flamborough Head.

Guest The Northumbrian

QUOTE]If its in an area that people

would have no means of escape if the tide did come in. I for one would not endanger myself, as its very easy to forget time when your Caching,and the area is similar to holy Island for the speed of the tides. Taking a chance with a couple of Mins. can lead you to disaster,But then that's only my view for what it's worth. But I look forward to your other future caches,

Nige, at Blaydon on tyne

------------------

The Northumbrian

[This message has been edited by The Northumbrian (edited 15 January 2002).]

[This message has been edited by The Northumbrian (edited 15 January 2002).]

Guest dylanhayes

Well, based on the response so far it looks like the cache is not going to offend the majority of cachers feelings. I will try and plant the cache before the weekend (weather and tide permitting!) so as not to be seen by non cachers.

Guest kennamatic

I definitely think you should go for it. As long as there are warnings to alert people to the possible dangers then you have done as much as you can. This is a long way short of being dangerous. We have a number of urban caches where there is a much greater chance of people being run over by a car than being cut off from the tide in yours. In the end we all have to take responsibility for our own safety and if someone posted a cache that we thought was out and out dangerous the forum would soon highlight it.

Having looked through some overseas caches there are some which require rock climbing skills and others which have a much greater level of danger. As U.K. geocaching expands further over a period of time, we will have to find newer types of location and different types of caches along side the traditional in order to move forward. Yours will just be the first of this type but probably not the last.

Good luck with it.

Guest dylanhayes

Well, based on everyone's very helpful comments I placed the cache at low tide today. It's currently awaiting approval but can be found here:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.asp?ID=13037&Nocache=0.7055475

I took the time to scout several locations to ensure the geocache will not be removed by the next curious tourist or large wave, although that forced me to use a location that is not quite as challenging to get to as some of the places I had considered. Still it should be a fun cache as it requires a little bit of forward planning to find. Enjoy!