Advice on a second GPS

I want to purchase a second GPS and have been poking about looking at specs on the internet. What I think I want is:

-No mapping capability. Already got it on the eMap

-Electronic Compass

-Good charecteristics when there is not much sky available.

-Waterproof

-WAAS capability

I saw a make called MLR. Never heard of them but this is how they are desribed at GPS Warehouse:

Handheld GPS - MLR SP24 GPS Navigator

The new SP24 handheld GPS incorporates MLR's latest technology to give you the ultimate performance. The dual acquisition 12 parallel channel receiver searches for 24 satellites simultaneously, resulting in a 12-second warm start position fix. Phaselock technology provides 3m accuracy and excellent speed sensitivity. The SP24 will even operate when you are walking in the woods! Designed for one-handed operation, both the screen and keypad are backlit for ease of use day or night.

The bit about operating in woods interested me. I don't think this model has an electronic compass but I am seriously considering if it lives up to its description.

Can anybody recommend a GPS that fits my requirements of perhaps my requirements are a bit over the top. For instance I have heard WAAS is only availible in the US because the WAAS compatible satellites(2 of them) are not located in a good postion for a WAAS fix in the UK.

Any advice and recommendations would be really appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

LASSITUDE- (noun) Tiredness and apathy: a state of weariness accompanied by listlessness or apathy[15th century. Via French from Latin lassitudo , from lassus 'weary'.]

WAAS relies on (25) ground stations with limited transmission range and these ground stations are only available in the US.

WAAS provides a differential signal which enhances accuracy to the 3m claimed in the advert you've read. More information is available here:

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Reception under tree cover is a function of visibility of the sky/satellites, water content in/on the leaves, aerial sensitivity, plus any amplification (eg a powered external aerial).

None of the manufacturers publish their signal sensitivity and Garmin couldn't/wouldn't answer via technical queries either.

I've had limited success using a "Mini-Mouse" external aerial with my Emap and haven't found a good system solution to this problem (I usually resort to a process solution ie find clearings and estimate direction / distance). I'm also planning to start carrying a flame thrower icon_wink.gif

I haven't heard of the model that you've found here but when we came to buying a second GPS we went for simplicity: an Etrek.

Dave & Nicky

WAAS relies on (25) ground stations with limited transmission range and these ground stations are only available in the US.

WAAS provides a differential signal which enhances accuracy to the 3m claimed in the advert you've read. More information is available here:

http://www.garmin.com/aboutGPS/waas.html

Reception under tree cover is a function of visibility of the sky/satellites, water content in/on the leaves, aerial sensitivity, plus any amplification (eg a powered external aerial).

None of the manufacturers publish their signal sensitivity and Garmin couldn't/wouldn't answer via technical queries either.

I've had limited success using a "Mini-Mouse" external aerial with my Emap and haven't found a good system solution to this problem (I usually resort to a process solution ie find clearings and estimate direction / distance). I'm also planning to start carrying a flame thrower icon_wink.gif

I haven't heard of the model that you've found here but when we came to buying a second GPS we went for simplicity: an Etrek.

Dave & Nicky

There is a European system under construction called EGNOS http://www.esa.int/export/esaSA/ESAZABOED2D_navigation_0.html which, it is claimed will be able to interoperate with WAAS so once it's up and running properly, your WAAS feature should work in Europe.

WAAS incidentally is not just ground stations, it is a system of ground stations and geostationary satellites.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching