Logging own caches

Guest jstead

rompted to ask views on the rights and wrongs of logging visits to one's own caches for maintenance purposes etc. So far when I have revisited my own caches I have made a note in the logbook but not recorded it on the GeoCache site. I think there was some frowning on the idea in the previous Lovelock debate but cannot place it.

------------------

John Stead

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Moss Trooper:

As far as I know.. if you leave a note it isn't a log.. but divint quote me on that.

Can you enlighten us Jeremy????

Moss de Boss..... sorta

I was emailed by someone (no names, no pack drill) when I 'logged' one of my own caches.

Apparently, there's a sort of league table of logging caches and if you multi-log your own cache it could be seen as trying to climb the ladder unfairly.

So, I now know that there's three options for logging a cache. "Found it!", or "Didn't Find it" giving a smiley or sad face on the log. Then there is 'other' which puts a scroll of paper up instead of a face.

I think that, if you own the cache and want to log that it's OK or that you have added new contents, the scroll might be the best option.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Kimrobin

There seem to be some people involved in geocahing that see things as stats orientated and like making league tables and stuff.

Well, let them do that. I don't really care.

On the general forum, I've supported a move to have the number of caches that a person has found, removed from public view. I know how many we've done and I don't really care what anyone else does.

Having so said, I did log a change to a cache this week and by mistake logged it as a yellow smiley find and I went back and changed it.

But, let's face it. This is for fun. Let's keep it that way.

Alex.

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Kimrobin:

On the general forum, I've supported a move to have the number of caches that a person has found, removed from public view. I know how many we've done and I don't really care what anyone else does.

Can't say I'm interested in a league table of caches reached myself (I have enough competitve activity with geodashing icon_smile.gif ) but maybe an option could be for those that did want to take part in a 'league' had an option to show their cache list?

Meaning that people like me who mess up at times don't spoil their enjoyment.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

quote:

Can't say I'm interested in a league table of caches reached myself (I have enough competitve activity with geodashing icon_smile.gif ) but maybe an option could be for those that did want to take part in a 'league' had an option to show their cache list?

Meaning that people like me who mess up at times don't spoil their enjoyment.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:

Having so said, I did log a change to a cache this week and by mistake logged it as a yellow smiley find and I went back and changed it.

But, let's face it. This is for fun. Let's keep it that way.

Alex.

I agree with what you say

"This is for fun"

Over the last 2 weeks , In stead of searching , I have been round most of mine to check on them, But there is no way that I would class that as a log, some thing else I would like to mention is , How about when we put our caches on the site, include a note to ask people that when they log the caches, to say what county and part of the county they are from.I get notifications that My cache has been looged, but when I read the log I have noticed loads of names that dont use the forum so I dont know where they are from, And I would like to know if there are more cacher's in the north east than we know of.Sorry to rabbit.

Nige, Blaydon on tyne

------------------

The Northumbrian

[This message has been edited by The Northumbrian (edited 16 January 2002).]

I can not see what the problem is in logging your caches after visiting them. Why log them?

There is facility on the cache page to "Edit this Cache" so why not use that. (I have on two occasions).

Use the "edit this cache" and start a new paragraph by FIRST showing the date of the visit followed by your comments.

Hey Presto:-

No need for a log entry

No entry in ??League Table??

Keeps stats in order.

Or Have I Missed The Boat.

PHREDD

Keep it GREEN ... keep it CLEAN

------------------

Phredd

Guest jeremyp

Firstly, I like the idea of knowing how many caches other people have done. In fact, I don't see why it's not possible to access each other's cache pages (except I would hide the e-mail address or add an option to not publish it to the outside World). It's interesting to see what caches other people have done and to that end I always publish the URL of my web site which has a copy of my cache log on it when I log a visit (if I remember!).

Secondly, I don't see why you shouldn't log visits to your own cache site. There is a "note" log you can use which doesn't update your caches found total. In fact it's quite usefule. If somebody logs a "can't find" and you check and it turns out the coordinates are wrong, you can log a "changed the coords" message which will then appear in the correct chronological place.

Thirdly, a bit of *friendly* competition never hurt anyone. Although it never occurred to me that because I logged 23 caches and person x only logged 12, that makes me better at it. I happen to live in an area that is quite densely populated with caches which makes it easy for me to rack up a good score.

Guest Kimrobin

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Firstly, I like the idea of knowing how many caches other people have done. In fact, I don't see why it's not possible to access each other's cache pages (except I would hide the e-mail address or add an option to not publish it to the outside World). It's interesting to see what caches other people have done and to that end I always publish the URL of my web site which has a copy of my cache log on it when I log a visit (if I remember!).

You can get a list of caches that anyone has done. Here's yours :-

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/nearest_cache.asp?ul=jeremyp

I suppose it does pander to the nosey people amongst us and that makes it a bit more fun.

You can also track where people go for their holidays - Paris and Florida in my case and Malta for Monz znd f-stop. That sad old chap Mosstrooper never gets any further than Liverpool by the looks of it icon_smile.gif

BTW - how come you have done Sherlock 1-6 but haven't done 7 yet. See I told you it's good for nosey buggers.

Cheers

Alex.

Guest Kimrobin

quote:

I suppose it does pander to the nosey people amongst us and that makes it a bit more fun.

You can also track where people go for their holidays - Paris and Florida in my case and Malta for Monz znd f-stop. That sad old chap Mosstrooper never gets any further than Liverpool by the looks of it icon_smile.gif

BTW - how come you have done Sherlock 1-6 but haven't done 7 yet. See I told you it's good for nosey buggers.

Cheers

Alex.

Guest Morseman

quote:

Personally, I've no problem with people seeing my sucesses and failures, but others may not want their cache list available to everyone.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by Morseman:

I was emailed by someone (no names, no pack drill) when I 'logged' one of my own caches.

That would be me... and I was trying to point out to you that logging your own cache as a find is not the done thing, I never mentioned a league.

If you feel it necessary to log your own caches as finds go for it. When I started caching mine was the 18th to be planted in the UK and I saw it as an achievement to get my cache tally up by finding other peoples caches.

PS Please include my name next time if it is me you are talking about... I really don't mind. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:

That would be me... and I was trying to point out to you that logging your own cache as a find is not the done thing, I never mentioned a league.

If you feel it necessary to log your own caches as finds go for it. When I started caching mine was the 18th to be planted in the UK and I saw it as an achievement to get my cache tally up by finding other peoples caches.

PS Please include my name next time if it is me you are talking about... I really don't mind. icon_biggrin.gif

Guest jeremyp

quote:

Cheers

Alex.

You learn something new every day. Although it doesn't list my failures.

I haven't done Sherlock 7 yet because the day I did Sherlock 6 I also wanted to have a go at Tombraider 2 and I was running out of time. Given that Sherlock 7 was in the middle of London where it is quite hard to get a GPS signal, I wanted to plot its exact position on a map before attempting it.

Next time I'm in London, I'll do it.

Guest jeremyp

quote:

Cheers

Alex.

You learn something new every day. Although it doesn't list my failures.

I haven't done Sherlock 7 yet because the day I did Sherlock 6 I also wanted to have a go at Tombraider 2 and I was running out of time. Given that Sherlock 7 was in the middle of London where it is quite hard to get a GPS signal, I wanted to plot its exact position on a map before attempting it.

Guest Kimrobin

quote:

I don't think that you will have any problem getting a signal for Sherlock 7. Plenty of open sky. Ooops... Free clue icon_smile.gif

Alex.

Guest Kimrobin

quote:

I don't think that you will have any problem getting a signal for Sherlock 7. Plenty of open sky. Ooops... Free clue icon_smile.gif

Alex.

Guest element14

quote:

There is a league table of sorts at:

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/countries.cgi?country=United%20Kingdom

Guest element14

quote:

There is a league table of sorts at:

http://www.insidecorner.com/geocaching/stats/countries.cgi?country=United%20Kingdom

Guest The Northumbrian

has the car all waiting to take me down. Best wishes,

Nige

------------------

The Northumbrian

[This message has been edited by The Northumbrian (edited 18 January 2002).]

Guest regoarrarr

Hi - I'm the guy who put up the site listed above.

What can I say - my data isn't perfect, nor do I claim that it is. It's only off of what geocaching.com gives me, and even then I bet there are some errors.

The Northumbrian: I have added your missing 8th hidden cache.

If you or anyone else spot any errors or inconsistencies, let me knwo and I'll do my best to update them.

dan.

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by regoarrarr:

Hi - I'm the guy who put up the site listed above.

To paraphrase what an American president once said,

"you can please some of the people all of the time, or you can please all of the people some of the time. But, you can't please all of the people all of the time"

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:
Originally posted by The Relic Hunters:

You go and find other caches.

your caches are not lost.(TO YOU)

If at War? would you shoot your men as well

KEEP IT FUN.

I dont understand what this message is in response to, Could you explain it bit better?
Guest The Relic Hunters

Must I? Well it's like this... 1st of all how can you find one of your own caches if you haven't lost it? 2ndly, if you were at war and you survived to have a crack with your pals afterwards, and one of them said he'd shot 10 men (for eg), would you go out and shoot 11 of your own men just so you were in the lead? Do you know what I mean?

Mike

[This message has been edited by The Relic Hunters (edited 20 January 2002).]

Guest element14

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

The person who put this on the web ,needs to learn

how to count , He has it up to date it says,But I have hidden 8 and not 7 as it states

Just proves the old saying that there are lies, dadgum lies and statistics?

Guest The Northumbrian

quote:
Originally posted by The Relic Hunters:

Must I? Well it's like this... 1st of all how can you find one of your own caches if you haven't lost it?

Check out the site and and spend a bit of time looking at it . ON the first page

he has your details , are they right?

check the second person from the top , its a load of bull, My oppinion .

Why do we need legue tables ? soon we will end up with divisions, if that happens then there will be a gps up for sale

------------------

The Northumbrian

[This message has been edited by The Northumbrian (edited 21 January 2002).]

Guest Luggage

I definately agree on the 'not logging your own cache' theory - well, it's not as though you walk into your lounge every morning and go 'way-hay!! I found the telly!!' - it is exactly where you left it.

Now, remote controls on the other hand are a different kettle of fish. We all know that they, along with keys, have minds of their own and free will to roam the house while you sleep.

With respect to the league tables, great if you're interested, if not then you don't have to bother with them - most of you probably didn't even know they existed until this thread started - it's not hurting anyone.

The people in 1st place 'run their own business', and spend most of their day a/ playing Freecell (to see who can finish first), b/ Watching The Golden Girls, c/ Geocaching (Sorry Mum, sorry Dad). They have been known to work, but it is a rare event, whereas the person in second place managed it by logging his own caches.... Need I say more...

Oh, by the way lemdip, glad you found your cat - ours is still missing (long haired black female moggie - went missing on 12th December, wearing flurescent/reflective yellow collar with bell, microchipped).

Rincewind & Luggage

so many replies so soon when I opened this thread - thank you all. After reading them all (so far!) I have decided to use the "other" facility when logging a visit and which I had not noticed before. Like the gentleman said this is meant to be fun and thought I do quite enjoy looking at the statistics some seem to find important I don't regard them as the be-all and end-all.

------------------

John Stead