Garmin EMap

I've had my eMap for a couple of months now and it wants some toys to play with. I bought the cheapest option (ie just the email with basemap) and am now looking at stuff like PC cable, maps, memory cards, protective cases etc. Does anyone else have an Emap and accessories, or can recommend software. Technically I know nothing so getting it to talk to my PC will be interesting - I suppose I would really like to be able to download large numbers of cache locations easily, plus have better mapping capabilities, particularly for walking (I normally use 1:25,000 scale OS maps). Any help greatly appreciated.

Lizzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeee icon_biggrin.gif

With varying degrees of sucess!

A PC cable (serial connection) is the starter for waypoint downloads from the site. You can also get a combined serial / 12V supply cable (in case you want to plug into a laptop n the car). Unless you intent to use with a laptop, go with the simple option (otherwise you'll be unplugging from the computer to use in the car and vice-versa).

12V power cable - very useful, saves a lot of batteries

Mapsource (Europe) - mapping of the UK and other countries in varying degrees of accuracy. I find this very helpful to get to the closest road to a cache, but in order to use this you'll need:

A memory card. I find a 32K card ample, this covers Southern England from London to Bristol to Manchester. Memory cards are Garmin proprietory (and much more expensive than other types eg SD/CF) although I think there may be other manufacturers. Big cards take a long time to load so you could consider:

USB card programmer - I love this, it takes 2mins to load my 32M card instead of 30+ mins. However, it isn't essential.....

For the car, you should consider a mounting bracket - we use a bean bag type which sits on the dash (and never slips despite our top-heavy people carrier).

For both the car and use under trees you can consider an external antenna, eg the Garmin 27c. It does help under tree cover, although again it isn't essential and doesn't magically solve tree problems.

There's other stuff like mapsource for the US, world basemaps which are good if you need them.

Protective cases (soft and hard) - we ditched them long ago.

Natch, you'll need rechargable batteries!

Dave

Like the folks from Wimbledon we have tried most things - the ones we use most are:

Rechargeable Batteries

Save £s really quickly (try running a StreetPilot III of batteries and you will soon see what we mean).

In car Power Cable

Saves the rechargeables.

In car mount

It's either that or watch it fly accross the dashboard!

PC Link cable

No more typing in of coords! You can use EasyGPS to download for free.

GeocacheUK.com

The stats page allows you to download caches in lods of formats.

MemoryMap

Full UK mapping at 1:50000 great for planning routes and walks - then send them straight to the GPS.

Charter membership and a Palm Pilot

Using GPX files and Spinner allows us to do away with cache printouts.

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

I use a combination serial port/car cord with mine, that allows me to use it on the computer as well as in the car.(The other benefit is that I can power it up from the 12volt on my boat)

I use Roads and Rec UK which is ample for my purposes and also have worldmap which is a waste of money!

I use a normal 16meg SD card which allows me to upload the entire UK and all my waypoints, it cost me £20 in Argos.

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!