Forestry Commission

OK I today planted my newest cache called "The Chiltern Summit" and it is on Forestry Commission land in Wendover Woods.

I wanted to know if anyone else has planted one on this sort of place and is it actually allowed?

I see no reason why it wouldn't be because the place is open to the public for walks etc til 9pm at night but I was unsure, and would some other peoples views on this.

I will add though that the cache location is perfect.

Thanx all.

Pid xxxx

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)

Hi Pid, my take on this would be that anywhere to which the public has access is a valid location for a cache.

Two obvious examples are public footpaths or common land.

Another good spot would be National Trust land. Although not strictly speaking public, they do encourage free roaming over much of it. I would see forestry commission land in the same light.

I know some caches are located on private land to which an entrance fee must be paid.

So bottom line - if you have legitimate access to the land it's good for a cache.

Peter

Yeah your right I think.

The only fee you will have to pay to get in here is for parking, which I don't think strictly matters because 1-) its only like 50p and 2-) R there really going to be traffic wardens in the middle of the countryside? I know Traffic wardens are a pain in the backside but there wouldnt be any up there blatently.

Pid

Two of our caches are within the New Forest on Forestry Commission controlled land. The bye-laws are quite in depth but as long as people respect the land (not playing loud music, taking litter home, keeping out of the way of the wildlife, etc.) there should be no cause for concern.

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

Most of the Caches in the Great Yorkshire Cache Hunt were placed on forestry commission land and I thought it wise to ask if there would be any problems placing caches within the area we were working for the event. The reply I recieved read.....

"I need to know certainly within 100 yards the location of any cache on Forestry Commission property in the area so that I can advise if you if disturbance is a problem. This is a particular concern for birds scheduled under section 1 of the wildlife and countryside act where there are heavy penalties for 'reckless' disturbance."

The Forestry Commision contact I was working with was extremely helpful and even visited us at the event start area to have a chat on the day of the event.

There seemed to be no problems with Forestry Commision land as all the caches were approved. What HAS become clear to me is that there is insufficient guidance available on Geocaching.com (or any other sites) on where you can or can't place caches.

It would seem to me that there should be an official UKgeocaching group formed with the intentions of approaching major land owners, legal bodies and the such in order to get clear guidelines on how to get caches approved on public/private land, footpaths, river banks and the like. Such a group could also arrange public liabilty insurance for events under its umbrella.

Chris More

If you wish to place a cache in the New Forest, permission must be sought from Jane Albery who can be contacted on (023) 8028 3141.

I must admit that I have not (yet) asked permission for my two caches, so I will disable them until permission has been granted.

Team Tate

Remember - if it's moving, it's not dead...

It seems to me that there needs to be an official place in which to collate all the information about where you can plant caches and whose permission you need within the UK. Ideally it would be somewhere on www.geocaching.com, but could - if we can't get the location set up - be on a web site here in the UK. I'd be glad to donate some of my 1000Gb quota, except that the URL will have to start "jeremyp.net".

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

1000GB! Struth Mate.....thats one hell of a big Server....or series of servers! I should jolly well think you would be able to use about 40kb of it.....lol!

I agree that it would make sense to have a page which outlines the guidelines because I would imagine some people (Liek me) could get confused. If there was a page there wouldnt be an excuse.

I am now going to go and hunt for the thread Peter talks of.

Pid

Watch out its a Golfcourse... (Team Dan + Pid)

It might have been 1000 Mb, but that's not the point. The service I bought gives me unlimited disk space which technically is even bigger than 1,000Gb.

The provider has an advert at the bottom of my home web page.

In checking the above, I found a bug in the HTML on my index page. When I uploaded the fixed version, the ftp server told me that the file system had 350Gb on it, so that is my real upper limit.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I would like clarification of the status of caches on FC land. I placed a cache on the 3 June and removed it the next day when I realised that it was not on 'public' land. The area is completely accessible (anywhere) but even so I was worried that it wasn't right.

I will put a cache in the area but may decide that it should be on a right of way. Any comments?

Andy.