Too Much Detail

Guest f-stop

Apologies fer bein'whingy......but I would just like to ask if people could be a little careful about how much detail they divulge when logging a find on yer cache page. It seems a bit of a waste of time if the cache owner tries to give just enough info (and then encrypts a further clue or two for anyone who may need help),only for someone who has found it to DESCRIBE the location in their log.

I agree with f-stop on this. Though it is fair enough for someone to give full details of their trials and tribulations even if they do give the position away IF they encrypt their log entry as has just been done on my Lifeboat Sands site.

------------------

John Stead

Guest jeremyp

Monumental Journey would be a case in point, I believe.

I am not the sort to point fingers at djh :-) Actually, I'm just bitter because if djh's log had been there before I arrived, I would not have got so wet.

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

Monumental Journey would be a case in point, I believe.

For what it's worth, I agree, and as the cache owners we have now encrypted this log entry.

To be fair though, the finders have only found 5 caches to date. 2 on the 3rd Feb, 2 (inc Monumental Journey) on the 9th Feb. So I'm sure they can be forgiven. I will send them a kind e-mail.

I have to be honest, and say that caches which have complete descriptions of the location of the cache annoy me. We usually set off without reading the logs but reading the cache description. When a description gives a blow-by-blow account of the exact position instead of some hints and a spoiler, where is the hunt ?

We now have to temper this with another situation. We went to do a series of 9 caches (SP1 to SP9) which were all in one forest (we walked 8.9 miles, Oh boy !). We managed 8 of those without too much trouble (the descriptions were explicit) but the ninth had an obvious error in the coordinates because the explicit description did not fit the location which was within 80 feet of the first in the series.

It was not until we came to enter our logs did we discover that nearly a week ago another team had reported that the coordinates must be wrong. There are now FOUR reports to that effect and they still have not been changed.

Happy Caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

[This message has been edited by timp (edited 12 February 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

I agree with f-stop on this. Though it is fair enough for someone to give full details of their trials and tribulations even if they do give the position away IF they encrypt their log entry as has just been done on my Lifeboat Sands site.

I agree with you John,

I accessed "My cache page" and encrypted the logs that I thought gave too much detail before I started this thread,(just in case anyone has visited the page and wondered what I was goin' on about.) icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by jstead:

I agree with you John,

I accessed "My cache page" and encrypted the logs that I thought gave too much detail before I started this thread,(just in case anyone has visited the page and wondered what I was goin' on about.) icon_smile.gif

Guest jeremyp

80 feet of the first in the series.

It was not until we came to enter our logs did we discover that nearly a week ago another team had reported that the coordinates must be wrong. There are now FOUR reports to that effect and they still have not been changed.

Happy Caching

Tim & June (Winchester)

[This message has been edited by timp (edited 12 February 2002).]

I don't mean to be too critical of djh. I'm sure I did lots of things wrong when I started (although nobody has told me).

I'm glad of the warning about SP1 - SP9 because I was planning to do these caches because a) They are very close to me and virtually the whole of the first page of "caches close to my home coords" is SP caches which is annoying and :) it'd be lots of caches on the same day so I can improve my league position :-)

Guest jeremyp

KQUOTE>

I don't mean to be too critical of djh. I'm sure I did lots of things wrong when I started (although nobody has told me).

I'm glad of the warning about SP1 - SP9 because I was planning to do these caches because a) They are very close to me and virtually the whole of the first page of "caches close to my home coords" is SP caches which is annoying and :) it'd be lots of caches on the same day so I can improve my league position :-)

I really appreciate this reminder - it is all good stuff to bear in mind.

Of course I am now going to be completely paranoid when posting logs in case I give something away by accident icon_smile.gif (I have already gone back and encrypted one of my logs just in case).

The trouble is, it is so exciting logging a succesful find that it is very difficult to avoid saying something that gives the location away. Worth re-reading what you have written a few times before posting I guess.

El10t

I really appreciate this reminder - it is all good stuff to bear in mind.

Of course I am now going to be completely paranoid when posting logs in case I give something away by accident icon_smile.gif (I have already gone back and encrypted one of my logs just in case).

The trouble is, it is so exciting logging a succesful find that it is very difficult to avoid saying something that gives the location away. Worth re-reading what you have written a few times before posting I guess.

El10t

According to the description for SP6 it stands for Star Post, which are the posts the people responsible for the forest put at the junctions around to point you back towards the car park, and things like that. They are also numbered and marked on the maps the Lookout sell. Having said that not all the caches are close to these... SP6 is close to post 6, and SP1 is close to post 1, the rest are a bit of a mystery.

In terms of SP1-SP9 they are more like letterboxing boxes, as you'll really only be able to use the GPS to get to the right ballpark area due to the reception problems that have been mentioned in the logs, then you'll end up having to use the description and the pictures to find the cache itself. You'll also get to know fairly quickly how to identify where the box is (usually) buried.

Richard

[This message has been edited by Richard & Beth (edited 14 February 2002).]

quote:
Originally posted by chris n maria:

Out of interest does any one know what the SP in SP1-9 stands for?

It stands for 'Star Post' Throughout the forest there are posts marked 'Star Post 1' etc. I dont know what the significance of them is. The forest itself is just paths and pine trees with a smattering of other trees and rhododendron bushes etc and few features. I guess that without some sort of marker system (or a GPS), it would be easy to get lost.

Other thoughts are :

Sham Preparation

Source Problem

Search Predicament

Ok, now get yer Latin dictionaries out :

'Stupidius Passin'

(Literally translated it means "Stupid Directions)

icon_smile.gif

But we enjoyed the walk.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Whoops! While I was typing out this reply, looks like Richard and Beth posted their reply, sorry to duplicate.

[This message has been edited by timp (edited 14 February 2002).]

quote:

Out of interest does any one know what the SP in SP1-9 stands for?

It stands for 'Star Post' Throughout the forest there are posts marked 'Star Post 1' etc. I dont know what the significance of them is. The forest itself is just paths and pine trees with a smattering of other trees and rhododendron bushes etc and few features. I guess that without some sort of marker system (or a GPS), it would be easy to get lost.

Other thoughts are :

Sham Preparation

Source Problem

Search Predicament

Ok, now get yer Latin dictionaries out :

'Stupidius Passin'

(Literally translated it means "Stupid Directions)

icon_smile.gif

But we enjoyed the walk.

Tim & June (Winchester)

Whoops! While I was typing out this reply, looks like Richard and Beth posted their reply, sorry to duplicate.

[This message has been edited by timp (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest jeremyp

quote:
Originally posted by el10t:

Of course I am now going to be completely paranoid when posting logs in case I give something away by accident

El10t

I usually go by the rule of thumb that anything that is mentioned in the original description is OK to mention. Anything that is mentioned in the encrypted hint must be encrypted as should anything that could possibly help somebody to find the cache unless I think it's somehow "not fair". e.g. the coords for Sherlock 3 are quite a long way from the clue (probably due to poor signal reception in the area) so I posted that fact in my log.

[This message has been edited by jeremyp (edited 14 February 2002).]

Guest el10t

With advance apologies for resurecting this thread, it is also worth bearing in mind that numbers remain unchanged under the encryption process.

There is a log on the Sherlock 6 page that gives away a little too much detail as a result of this.

Guest jeremyp

ted by el10t:

With advance apologies for resurecting this thread, it is also worth bearing in mind that numbers remain unchanged under the encryption process.

There is a log on the Sherlock 6 page that gives away a little too much detail as a result of this.

Not so much too much detail as the answer. i took the liberty of e-mailing him/her to point out the non-encryption / fact that is was logged on the wrong cache anyway.

Nice to see you've finished the series. Who is Psycloud anyway?

Guest jeremyp

quote:

Not so much too much detail as the answer. i took the liberty of e-mailing him/her to point out the non-encryption / fact that is was logged on the wrong cache anyway.

Nice to see you've finished the series. Who is Psycloud anyway?

Guest chris n maria

quote:

Just wondering how comes the user got to that point yet has Found 0/Cached 0 on their profile? And shouldn't it Be on Sherlock 7 anyway?

Just a tad confused

------------------

Chris

We are not lost, we just don't know where we are..

Guest jeremyp

quote:

Just wondering how comes the user got to that point yet has Found 0/Cached 0 on their profile? And shouldn't it Be on Sherlock 7 anyway?

Just a tad confused

It should have been on Sherlock 7 - I pointed that out in my e-mail and it was logged as a note, not a found/couldn't find. I suspect they wanted to do all 7 before logging anything.

Guest el10t

The log in question seems to have gone now so if you didn't catch it before, you will have to do Sherlocks 1-6 properly in order to find 7.

(Unless you're Psycloud that is, in which case you leave all the hard work to me and tag along for the finale :-) )

Guest jeremyp

quote:

(Unless you're Psycloud that is, in which case you leave all the hard work to me and tag along for the finale :-) )

All the hard work. Did I imagine that distressed phone call when you were looking for Sherlock 3? ;-)

Guest el10t

quote:
Originally posted by jeremyp:

All the hard work. Did I imagine that distressed phone call when you were looking for Sherlock 3? ;-)

Touche! I did credit you in my log of that find though. :-)