Disposable cameras. Silica gel.

Guest toscouk

Guest toscouk

Klicks photoshops are selling disopsable cameras at two for £4.99.

Has anyone thought of using the silica gel packs, as found with new electronic items cameras etc, to overcome the moisture problem we encounter in our caches.

John

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by toscouk:

Has anyone thought of using the silica gel packs, as found with new electronic items cameras etc, to overcome the moisture problem we encounter in our caches.

John

I think there's been discussion on this topic in the 'General' forum.

One problem you may find is that the water is only held by the gel. When the gel is heated, say by the Sun reheating the ground round the cache, it releases the water again. Back into the cache and the camera. icon_frown.gif

The other problem is that, if the cache leaks, the the gel wont be able to keep up with the moisture that gets in!

Moisture in caches comes in, I guess, in two ways;

1. Moist air traped in the cache when it's sealed or;

2. Moist air getting in, or rain water getting in, when the cache is opened by a cacher or a leaking container.

The gel might help in the case of 1. as long as the water is not re-released by heating, but I would guess would be overwhelmed by water coming in because of 2.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman

Guest Morseman

quote:
Originally posted by toscouk:

John

I think there's been discussion on this topic in the 'General' forum.

One problem you may find is that the water is only held by the gel. When the gel is heated, say by the Sun reheating the ground round the cache, it releases the water again. Back into the cache and the camera. icon_frown.gif

The other problem is that, if the cache leaks, the the gel wont be able to keep up with the moisture that gets in!

Moisture in caches comes in, I guess, in two ways;

1. Moist air traped in the cache when it's sealed or;

2. Moist air getting in, or rain water getting in, when the cache is opened by a cacher or a leaking container.

The gel might help in the case of 1. as long as the water is not re-released by heating, but I would guess would be overwhelmed by water coming in because of 2.

------------------

--... ...--

Morseman