Geo-referenced Tifs

BigNick

Does anyone know of a source of inexpensive geo-referenced tifs of New Zealand? I have talked to Geosystems, but 16CD's at $99 each is a bit rich for me. I have looked at both TopoMap and NZ Mapped but the images are stored in a proprietary image format and I am wanting them for use in MacGPS Pro (as I am using a Mac not a PC) - unless someone can point me in the direction of some NZ mapping software for the Mac.

Cheers, Nick.

I know of no topos available in tiff format for free. The maps however no longer are copyright so there is nothing stopping you scanning them yourself. Couple this with the calibration info provided on the linz web site listed below and it should be relatively easy to georeference them. For the price you mentioned it is possible to get the whole of NZ in vectorised topo - mmm yummy icon_wink.gif

LINZ georeferencing information

http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topography/TopographicMaps/260mapcoordinates/index.jsp

If I had the time right now I would be interested in georeferencing files for the public domain, but alas time is short icon_frown.gif

Cheers Gav

I know of no topos available in tiff format for free. The maps however no longer are copyright so there is nothing stopping you scanning them yourself. Couple this with the calibration info provided on the linz web site listed below and it should be relatively easy to georeference them. For the price you mentioned it is possible to get the whole of NZ in vectorised topo - mmm yummy icon_wink.gif

LINZ georeferencing information

http://www.linz.govt.nz/rcs/linz/pub/web/root/core/Topography/TopographicMaps/260mapcoordinates/index.jsp

If I had the time right now I would be interested in georeferencing files for the public domain, but alas time is short icon_frown.gif

Cheers Gav

I must have spend 8 odd hours scanning m35 and m36/37 in sections, correcting rotation and distortion and joining them back together. Then when I had sorted out some calibration points, punched everything into MacGPS Pro I still had 17m worth of inaccuracy in the lat (1m in the long) so I am going to have to go back and revisit each section and join again. I was hoping to avoid this by obtaining some georeferenced tifs icon_smile.gif If anyone wants m35, m36/37 when I have finished, drop me a line.

Nick.

I must have spend 8 odd hours scanning m35 and m36/37 in sections, correcting rotation and distortion and joining them back together. Then when I had sorted out some calibration points, punched everything into MacGPS Pro I still had 17m worth of inaccuracy in the lat (1m in the long) so I am going to have to go back and revisit each section and join again. I was hoping to avoid this by obtaining some georeferenced tifs icon_smile.gif If anyone wants m35, m36/37 when I have finished, drop me a line.

Nick.