more NZ mapping software...

Guest rediguana

Now that program has a bit of potential. It's about time someone bought out vector based mapping software. I might just wait until they have added the orthos and scanned topos though. May even wait for the sea depths add on, before replacing NZMapped icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Now that program has a bit of potential. It's about time someone bought out vector based mapping software. I might just wait until they have added the orthos and scanned topos though. May even wait for the sea depths add on, before replacing NZMapped icon_wink.gif

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Adman:

It's about time someone bought out vector based mapping software.

My sentiments exactly icon_smile.gif Why can't they bring out a cheap version of ArcGIS for us to use loads of free data with hehe. It's good to see a proliferation of competition, I hope it breeds some great software.

As an aside, we have another issue to deal with, that of GPS data. I think we should write a group letter, address it to all the companies, and ask them all to support an openly developed data format, so that data is freely interchangeable between all the software. One option is the GSPXML group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsxml which includes Topografix, used by geocaching.com.

Failing that, I'm interested in writing some filters to convert between various formats to ease data transfer.

Also, I have emailed Shell to ask them for the coordinates of all their service stations icon_wink.gif I haven't heard a reply yet, but I sent them a sample of the coordinates I already have, and a threat that the public will log them all eventually. So hopefully they have them, and will be willing to release them. That will be a good steep in the development of the waypoint db which hasn't moved much in the last couple of months. I've almost gone off the idea of managing them all through a website, and rather, just publishing the data on the web in suitable formats, e.g. .loc, .gps, .txt etc. That way development can focus on filters to integrate data collected from various sources, rather than implementing a cumbersome db and website. After all, most of the data will be used AWAY from an Internet connection icon_wink.gif I guess I better start learning PERL.

Some food for thought anyway.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:

It's about time someone bought out vector based mapping software.

My sentiments exactly icon_smile.gif Why can't they bring out a cheap version of ArcGIS for us to use loads of free data with hehe. It's good to see a proliferation of competition, I hope it breeds some great software.

As an aside, we have another issue to deal with, that of GPS data. I think we should write a group letter, address it to all the companies, and ask them all to support an openly developed data format, so that data is freely interchangeable between all the software. One option is the GSPXML group http://groups.yahoo.com/group/gpsxml which includes Topografix, used by geocaching.com.

Failing that, I'm interested in writing some filters to convert between various formats to ease data transfer.

Also, I have emailed Shell to ask them for the coordinates of all their service stations icon_wink.gif I haven't heard a reply yet, but I sent them a sample of the coordinates I already have, and a threat that the public will log them all eventually. So hopefully they have them, and will be willing to release them. That will be a good steep in the development of the waypoint db which hasn't moved much in the last couple of months. I've almost gone off the idea of managing them all through a website, and rather, just publishing the data on the web in suitable formats, e.g. .loc, .gps, .txt etc. That way development can focus on filters to integrate data collected from various sources, rather than implementing a cumbersome db and website. After all, most of the data will be used AWAY from an Internet connection icon_wink.gif I guess I better start learning PERL.

Some food for thought anyway.

Cheers Gav

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

How do you envisage the filters working in practice? Would they be in the form of a stand alone conversion program, or would you try and convince 3rd party software writers to use them or do you have something else in mind?

Cheers

Adam cool.gif

Guest rediguana

quote:

How do you envisage the filters working in practice?

Stand alone programs initially. I reckon a filter could be written in just a few lines of Perl, a bit more for C code. At the same time we should suggest that they support an openly supported standard, so that our data is easily transferable tween programs, and so that we can share data easily.

Cheers Gav

Guest tgsnoopy

Vision Software who wrote the Tumonz Mapping Software are in Rotorua. Next trip over there during the week, I'll try to visit them and have a look at it. I've been toying with buying NZMapped for the south island to compliment my north island set, but Tumonz will be $50 cheaper and do all of NZ. I'll let you know how I get on in due course.

I've just come across this site and I'm wondering if the tools I'm developing can help you kiwi geocachers out there and save you spending $100's on mapping software. My interactive maps of NZ are at www.divespots.co.nz and I'm currently working to integreate the maps with the online topo maps at www.geographynetwork.co.nz, you can see a preliminary version at http://www.divespots.co.nz/development/northlandindex.shtml

which is using a world map for now.

If I can develop these to suit your situation get in touch.

Cheers

Gazza