Removing Log Entries

Guest rediguana

Guest rediguana

Just curious on peoples views on removing certain log entries - in particular the 'other' entries.

Should log entries such as cache page updates, hints to certain people or messages that they are on track be removed after a while, basically leaving the found and not found attempts?

Be interested in thoughts.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

quote:
Originally posted by rediguana:

Just curious on peoples views on removing certain log entries - in particular the 'other' entries.

I would encrypt entries that give away excessive detail, but I would not remove any. I would not remove 'other' entries, unless you really needed too (e.g., if they were offensive). I know that I'm the worst offender when it comes to posting them ('other' logs, that is). icon_wink.gif 'Other' entries can also be used to show that a cache report has been updated and in what way (just so you don't use the old version).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I would encrypt entries that give away excessive detail, but I would not remove any. I would not remove 'other' entries, unless you really needed too (e.g., if they were offensive). I know that I'm the worst offender when it comes to posting them ('other' logs, that is). icon_wink.gif 'Other' entries can also be used to show that a cache report has been updated and in what way (just so you don't use the old version).

Cheers,

Donovan.

Guest rediguana

quote:
Originally posted by Nemesis:

'Other' entries can also be used to show that a cache report has been updated and in what way (just so you don't use the old version).

These are the ones I mean icon_smile.gif I'm just thinking that when I update/check a cache, that I could remove the previous log - removing the redundant material. Of course there is no harm in leaving it there hehe. I guess I'm really suggesting removing older 'cache update posts' when a newer one is placed.

Cheers Gav

Guest rediguana

quote:

'Other' entries can also be used to show that a cache report has been updated and in what way (just so you don't use the old version).

These are the ones I mean icon_smile.gif I'm just thinking that when I update/check a cache, that I could remove the previous log - removing the redundant material. Of course there is no harm in leaving it there hehe. I guess I'm really suggesting removing older 'cache update posts' when a newer one is placed.

Cheers Gav

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I could remove the previous log - removing the redundant material

You have a point. I might remove any short message regarding updates when and if I post the new one, as long as you are sure that the log is redundant. It might be interesting to recount what happened to your cache that was almost buried in an 'other' log, then later on people can read about it. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 05 September 2001).]

Guest Nemesis

quote:

I could remove the previous log - removing the redundant material

You have a point. I might remove any short message regarding updates when and if I post the new one, as long as you are sure that the log is redundant. It might be interesting to recount what happened to your cache that was almost buried in an 'other' log, then later on people can read about it. icon_smile.gif

Cheers,

Donovan.

[This message has been edited by Nemesis (edited 05 September 2001).]

Guest rediguana

quote:

It might be interesting to recount what happened to your cache that was almost buried in an 'other' log, then later on people can read about it.

Yes, given the story there I don't think I will remove that entry - that would be no fun hehe.

Cheers Gav