Unpublished caches on map?

lee737

We hide a fair bit, less than some, I suspect more than average.... so have several unpublished caches commonly in the system.

I'd like for them to be shown on my main map.... Cachly does this on iOS, and it is very handy.

On a related note - when hiding a cache, the maps used to show the hide are pretty useless sorry - is there a particular reason why normal mapping can't be available?  ie satellite imagery etc. 

I've found myself changing coordinates of puzzles I haven't solved to candidate coordinates so I can see a cache on the main map, or waypoints for longer hikes etc, but that is another gripe.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 2
51 minutes ago, lee737 said:

We hide a fair bit, less than some, I suspect more than average.... so have several unpublished caches commonly in the system.

I'd like for them to be shown on my main map.... Cachly does this on iOS, and it is very handy.

On a related note - when hiding a cache, the maps used to show the hide are pretty useless sorry - is there a particular reason why normal mapping can't be available?  ie satellite imagery etc. 

Yes, I fully concur with this. With mystery caches in particular, it'd be helpful to see where a new cache's bogus coordinates sit on the map relative to existing caches. As it stands, any overlapping only becomes apparent after publication.

And yes, the planning map on the cache editing page could do with some work. At the very least it needs a scale as without one it's more an illustration than a tool, and really it needs to show 161 metre circles for the CO's own hidden physical objects. Ideally I'd like to see it show the locations of mysteries and multis for which I've entered solved coordinates, to at least give me a chance of avoiding puzzles I've solved and found many years ago.

It would also be useful to be able to see our own unpublished caches on the app, to make sure everything looks okay on that. With so many new players now exclusively using the app and never even visiting the website, it's probably even more important to check a cache's appearance on that than it is on the cache page.

• Helpful 2