Cheapest way to start

jmaltais36

Hey gang,

I'm seriously thinking about getting envolved with geocaching. I'm living it Ottawa. What would be best way in getting started as far as hardware goes? Looks like the eTrex is the cheapest GPS that I've seen so far. If anyone has any decent used stuff I'd be interested in taking it off your hands icon_smile.gif

If I get the eTrex and their good maps for me to download or purchuce for it? Starting with the Ottawa maps of course.

Thanks! Jevin

You can't put / download maps to the yellow basic etrex or the venture no matter what the dumb salesman tells you. :-) I've got a Legend and it's great for that. If you buy now you should qualify for a $50 rebate on the Garmin etrex. Check their website out. Other thing though is that the maps on the unit are rather basic and you'd want to buy MapSource, which is more $s. But the yellow etrex should get you started, but if you want something with mapping capabilities at entry level I'd say the etrex Legend is the best.

quote:
if you want something with mapping capabilities at entry level I'd say the etrex Legend is the best.

I agree with RobertM. I have used, and or, owned the Yellow eTrex, and a Venture. The Legend is by far the best deal out there. MapSource software really makes the Legend though, and, you get Metroguide (Points of Interest)stuff for Ottawa. We here in Victoria should be so lucky.

If I ain't sweatin', I ain't cachin. Are we there yet?

If you want to get into a GPS on the cheap, drop by Bill's Electronics in Mildmay. He sells reconditioned units for very good prices. The cheapest of the bunch are the older Magellan units. They do work, but they take 4xAA batteries and they'll go through them far faster than the newer generation 12 channel receivers. They are also a lot deafer than the newer units, but will give you good performance in the clear. A friend bought two from him for 50$ (total) a year or so ago. He does of course have all the newer units. I'm a radio amateur and Bill's reputation is very good in this community - and believe me, hams do talk. Cheers! Coupar-Angus