A question about Difficulty for a gadget cache

DieselTjuv

I'm currently working on my first cache, a gadget cache.

I'm confused about what difficulty to set for the cache, the outer cache container location (GZ) will be obvious (D1.0/T1.0) but actually gaining access to the logbook inside will require some thought and experimentation (D3.0 at least).

Is it just me or is there an ambiguity in the Difficulty rating, particularly for gadget caches?

Should the Difficulty rating reflect the difficulty in locating GZ, or should it reflect the difficulty in accessing the actual logbook...or should it be a combination of the two?

1 hour ago, DieselTjuv said:

Should the Difficulty rating reflect the difficulty in locating GZ, or should it reflect the difficulty in accessing the actual logbook...or should it be a combination of the two?

Just as with puzzle caches, the difficulty rating should be for the overall experience. I've found puzzle caches where finding the container at GZ was almost trivial, but the puzzle to figure out the location of GZ was extremely difficult. I've found puzzle caches where finding GZ was trivial, but finding the container or accessing the log was extremely difficult.

Basically, if it isn't terrain (physically getting yourself to GZ), then it's difficulty.

• Upvote 1
  • Helpful 1
2 hours ago, DieselTjuv said:

I'm currently working on my first cache, a gadget cache.

I'm confused about what difficulty to set for the cache, the outer cache container location (GZ) will be obvious (D1.0/T1.0) but actually gaining access to the logbook inside will require some thought and experimentation (D3.0 at least).

Is it just me or is there an ambiguity in the Difficulty rating, particularly for gadget caches?

Personally I'd set the difficulty rating to reflect the most difficult part of the challenge, as that part still needs to be overcome in order to sign the log and claim a find.

• Upvote 2
25 minutes ago, vw_k said:

Personally I'd set the difficulty rating to reflect the most difficult part of the challenge, as that part still needs to be overcome in order to sign the log and claim a find.

I agree with this, and what niraD has above. If its a D3 gadget after a D1 find, its a D3 cache.....