Use of images in Message Center

Sometimes when I'm Geocaching I send an image via the Message Center to verify something. To add an image to a message you have the option to directly take a photo or to select an existing image. In most cases I take the photo directly via the option in the Geocaching app. My standard photo application is then opened, I take the photo and confirm the result. In certain regions there is a less good mobile connection and the forwarding of an image can take a very long time.

I synchronize images made on my mobile with a network drive. I recently noticed that directly under the DCIM folder are photos that I made via the Geocaching app. The photos have a file name with the following structure: GEO_yyyymmdd_hhmmss.png. What struck me even more is the size of the images. On average, these are 18 MB in size. Photos that I don't take via the Geocaching app are in jpg format and are on average about 5 MB in size. 

I suppose I can assume that those photos that the geocaching app places directly under DCIM folder are also the photos that are attached and sent. This could explain why it sometimes takes a little longer to send a message. Is there anyone to confirm this?

If this is the case, I still have some questions.

1. Why do they choose a PNG format that is so much larger (png is also more intended for drawings, not photos)?
  2. In most cases, the photos I send are even allowed to be a lot smaller than my regular photos. Wouldn't it be a good idea to offer via geocaching (via configuration or when the photo is confirmed) to be able to reduce photos to a certain size before they are sent? It would make sending an image a lot easier and faster. Alternatively, I either take a photo first and then add it (= more steps) or adjust the setting when I take the photo (= not user-friendly)

FYI: I can delete the images on my phone without any problem.

Thanks for your feedback! :)