Trackable Design Input Requested

SGTF

Hi,

I seem to remember there being a forum area for geocoin design a while back, but I can't seem to locate it so I guess this is the best place post. If not, please tell me where I should post my question.

I am the owner of a Project A.P.E. related geocaching series in San Diego that has been active since 2008. It has fallen on hard times, but I'm planning to refresh the series at the request of some people who are fond of it and want to keep it alive. It involves visiting six different locations spread out over a large area and is not easy to complete. It takes some dedication, but the people who have finished the series seem to really enjoy it. It includes a lot of "top secret" props, Planet of the Apes memorabilia, X-Files conspiracy, etc.

In any event, I thought it might be fun to design a trackable ring to give away as a prize to those who complete the series as a way to promote interest after everything is refreshed. I'm attaching the design here to see if people generally like the concept, have suggestions for the ring's design, or any other design suggestions. Particularly, I'm debating on making the gorilla's eyes a colored gem, but can't decide if it's a good idea or not, and what color the eyes should be if I go with a gem. I was originally thinking red or orange, but now I'm thinking a light sapphire might be kind of cool, too.

Let me know what you think!

APE.jpg

gem chart.JPG

• Funny 1

I think the design and concept are brilliant!

Personally, I'd have made the relief of the gorilla a bit shallower, from the image it looks like the teeth project a bit, which could cause snags or for them to break off. On the other hand, I don't think these would be an every day wear ring, nor that they'd do too much travelling.

Not sure if it'd be within your budget, but I'd include a basic duplicate tag that the owner could release rather than releasing the wonderful ring itself. Or include a little note that advises people on the wonderful world of proxies so they can make their own.

How much would the cost extra be for the eye-gems? It would look good, red eyes tend to have that "evil" look (which some people would like, others wouldn't). Maybe emerald?

Thank you for the input! That's a good point about the teeth sticking out, hadn't thought about that but it makes sense that they might break off. Also hadn't thought about the duplicate tag. That's an interesting suggestion... I was thinking more this would be a "prize" for completing the cache series and finders would keep their rings and not use them as an actual "traveler" (similar to a geocoin prize), but adding a travel tag is an interesting concept that I'll have to look into. I will have to check to see how much more this would add to the production cost.

I want the ape to look fierce with maybe a touch of evil, but not too much. Emerald might be a good alternative to give him a more regal look!