Automate Toporama .map file creation, for free topo maps

Guest AcStark

Guest AcStark

Wow! Free topo maps, all I have to do is download them from Toporama!!

Well it sounded good to begin with. After I had downloaded hundreds of Toporama 1-50K and 1-250K topographic maps, I found that it took days to bring each one into Ozi and enter the corner co-ordinates etc. etc. It just wasn't going to be worth it, I figured I'd have to spend the $800 and buy the maps.

Then I created a program that reads the .dat files from the Toporama co-ordinate ftp site: ftp.cits.nrcan.gc.ca/pub/datum/ and outputs OziExplorer .map files.

I just contacted Ozi, and they sent me the specs of the .map file, and now I can calibrate the entire province of BC in 30 seconds. It would also work for the rest of Canada.

As some have done, I tried correcting the aspect ratio of the bitmaps by reducing the X axis by the COS of the Lat, but found the loss of detail was too great. However if you have done that the program can take that into account too.

If anyone wants it, or more info, give me an email address here or email me at aceStatk@hotmail.com and I'll be glad to send it to you.