Caches in Edmonton, AB

RobertM

Hi,

I'll be in Edmonton for business on Monday (Sep 16) and would like to cache a bit while I'm there but will be dressed in a suit and tie so they have to be easy to access in terms of getting there as well as it shouldn't require kilometres of bush-wacking. Anything like that available near the airport or in close vicinity to the West Edmonton Mall?

Thanks

Rob

Your best bet would be to enter the coordinates of both those positions on the hide and seek page and find the nearest caches (default 100 miles but you can just look for the ones within say 10 km radius or whatever you are comfortable with)

rough coords of

WEM

53 31.583 degrees N

113 37.006 degrees W

Airport

53 18.489 degrees N

113 35.013 degrees W

Good Luck

TrollGRG

quote:
Originally posted by RobertM:

Hi,

I'll be in Edmonton for business on Monday (Sep 16) and would like to cache a bit while I'm there but will be dressed in a suit and tie so they have to be easy to access in terms of getting there as well as it shouldn't require kilometres of bush-wacking. Anything like that available near the airport or in close vicinity to the West Edmonton Mall?

Thanks

Rob

Hmmm... that could be a bit of a challenge. I have visited (or planted) almost all of the caches in the Edmonton area, and there are really none that come to mind that fit your criteria. There are a couple that are along well maintained (gravel or bark) trails in nature areas - but you would look a little odd visiting these with a suit and tie on. There is a virtual at the Edmonton legislature building (where you would not fell inconspicuous in a suit and tie):

First Post - Edmonton

but it is not really near either the airport or WEM. If you are able to bring a quick change of clothes along, you could try:

Three Musketeers at Whitemud Creek

as you will have to drive by the south parking access to this area on your way to WEM from the airport. This cache is about a 1 km walk along well maintained trails - no bushwacking required. You could also try:

FB Pin Cache

this cache is the opposite direction from the the Whitemud Creek cache, although along the same ravine system. More bushwacking is required to get to this one.

If you like, I could email you a MS Streets & Trips screen shot with all the Edmonton caches near the airport - WEM corridor marked with pushpins.

Gord

[This message was edited by MeeCachers on September 13, 2002 at 09:54 AM.]

Hi,

Thanks for the info on the caches. I've downloaded all points and plotted them in MapSource already and some are fairly close to where I'll be but my main concern was the difficulty of them the way I'd be dressed.

I'll take a look again at the caches you've pointed out and see if any would be possible or if I should not attempt any at all. I'll definitely take my GPS with to Edmonton though as I've downloaded the enhanced basemaps of Edmonton onto my Legend so most of the roads are displayed, but not all. Pity there's not more detailed maps like there are for Vancouver. :-(

Rob