OFF TOPIC- Australian Citizenship

AlphaOp

Hey, I've got a question for the Aussies out there.

I grew up in Pennsylvania, in the United States, but I've been thinking about moving to, and living in Australia. It's a beautiful country, neat people, and politically stable, plus there were a lot of other good things I've heard about it.

But, I heard that the immigration restrictions are rather tight, and it's difficult to get citizenship or immigrate there. Is this true? Any information or suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

-AO

Hi there...

I don't exactly qualify as an Aussie, as I'm an immigrant myself...

Yes the restrictions are pretty tough, but there are various ways of getting in...

It would really depend on your skills / age and what you want to do when you get here...

If you have skills that are attractive to an Australian based company, you may be able to find a company that is prepared to sponsor your application for temporary residence (2-4 years) which would allow you to work for that company in Australia. At the end of that period, if you are still in employment, you can apply for a permanent residence visa.

Alternatively, you can apply for a permanent residence visa in your own right. This is likely to take more time, but gives you more freedom to work wherever you want once you get it...

After being in the country for (I think) 5 years, you can apply for Australian citizenship...

An excellent source of reliable information can be found at: http://www.immi.gov.au/level2/01_migrate.htm

Hope this helps,

Leek