China

Guest Savoy

Two new caches in China!! I'm going to try to hit the one near the capitol this week.

Where are the geocachers in China? I'm in central China (also teaching at an International School).

Being near The Mountains, I just might have to place a couple of sites myself now that I know there are at least two other who are 'like-minded' in the country!

[This message has been edited by Savoy (edited 01 October 2001).]

Great to hear from you!! What a great demonstration of 'global reach'! How did the meeting with the park service go?

We are just loving it here... the people are VERY gracious - esp. since our language skills are just biulding. Turns out GPS/Geocaching is a great way to meet people here in the east. Every time I take it out with me (which is a great way from keeping from getting really lost in the cities BTY), I have the opportunity to visit with new friends and explain what 'it' is.

I'm still 'watching' my favorite caches in the AR area... a great way for the kids and me to keep in touch with what is called here as, 'the land of your heart.' Thanks for stopping by and saying 'hi!'

Take care! Savoy

quote:
Originally posted by geoark1:

Good to see you on the forums we miss you and your family in the Arkansas Geocaching community.

[This message has been edited by Savoy (edited 30 September 2001).]

Everything is going great with the State Parks in fact we have been asked to make a presentation to the state trails council on 10/10. With fall and winter coming up we are looking forward to a great time in my opinion the Fall and Winter in Arkansas is the perfect time for this hobby. Good Luck

I used to spend alot of time in China and am on my way back for the first time in 2 years. I am going to find the virtual cache in Shanghai.

I am also going to create a few. My first stop is Hong Kong (I used to live there and guess I'll have to do a virtual). Next stop is Shenzen, I know a place in Shekou, near the Nan Hai hotel to hide one. Then on to Guilin (haven't been there but I'' create one). The to Shanghai and my old stomping grounds at Jaio Tong University.

Then to Beijing for another virtual.

Maybe I can give you something to find on your travels.

Jay

I spent some time in Beijing back in 1994, mostly around Tsinghua University.

I've always wanted to go back and hope I will be able to soon. Is it awkward using GPS there, in terms of arousing suspicion?

I seemed to always be getting stared at, being a tall foreigner and sometimes visiting out of the way places. If I was a tall foreigner carrying around a GPS, would I be asking for trouble? I'm guessing virtual caches are the only ones possible?

I'd be interested in hearing about others experiences with this.

Sorry it took me so long to get back to this thread! Just in case anyone else is interested in this one I'll answer any...

Its not likely anyone will care. I've carried my GPS all over the mainland without a problem. (I'm not that tall for a American, but tall for China... and I still get crouds interested in what I'm up to all the time.)Quite the contrary, the GPS has been an invaluable tool just getting around (and back). Even in Taxies, pedicabs... all around town its been helpful. In the Capitol near the state biuldings and other famous places... no problem. Most people think it is either a different type of 'cell phone' or radio. Anyone who understands what it 'is' just seem think its just down right cool!

So, unless your walking perimeters sensitive areas you should be just fine!

Take care! - Sav

quote:
Originally posted by infosponge:

Is it awkward using GPS there, in terms of arousing suspicion?

I seemed to always be getting stared at, being a tall foreigner and sometimes visiting out of the way places. If I was a tall foreigner carrying around a GPS, would I be asking for trouble?

IS, although this is an old post... I'd suggest the best source for your answer is to check out the Degree Confluence website. Read ths stories of those seeking Chinese confluences to see what sort of treatment they experienced.

Jamie