Second Phoenix Geocachers'Get-together

Guest bob_renner

Guest bob_renner

During the Phoenix Geocachers' Happy Hour, several people expressed an interest in having a picnic. I have been out scouting several of the area parks and I have been wondering if it's already too hot for a picnic in town. Just walking around one of the parks at about 10am, I was getting uncomfortably hot. Here's a few options I was thinking about:

1. Go ahead and have it at a park and sweat it out,

2. Have it at one of the water parks (cost?)

3. Have another Happy Hour type event someplace indoors or with a misted patio (where?).

4. Have it out of town at a higher elevation where it's cooler (travel distance = lower attendance?).

What does everyone else think? Respond here with your preference and we'll see if we can come up with something most people want (probably won't be able to please everyone though). I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 29 May 2001).]

Guest manuelcasi

Does this post mean that your ...---... was recieved and you are out of harms way? We here in Texas where gathering at the Alamo in preperation of your rescue?

Guest bob_renner

Jim,

From what I have seen at the Tempe Town Lake area, there is little shade. I haven't looked very closely though. Since it's fairly new, I doubt there are very many large shade trees. Are you aware of any nice picnic areas there? If so, let me know.

I was thinking of Encanto Park. However, the area near the Enchanted Island is mainly for large groups with a reservation. We could get closed out there. Most of the other areas are first come first served and they were all roped off the other weekend fairly early. It was too crowded. Plus, the sidewalks near the lagoon are all covered in goose and duck $#!?.

Another park I looked at is Roadrunner park. There are several covered ramadas plus shade trees. The park has a pool, playground, tennis courts, a small lake, and game fields.

Bob

Guest WrongWay

I haven't been to the Tempe Lake park areas so I can't comment on the environment there. I have been to Indian Bend park in that area and also Saguaro Park in the west valley. Both of those have shaded ramadas but I assume you have to sign up for them. Saguaro park doesn't have much for activities. Indian Bend has a frisbee golf course, lots of water and miles of trails.

If an outdoor restarant/bar would be better, I think Dobre mentioned a placed called the Monastary. There is one in Peoria by the sports complex, there are several activities like volleyball, horse shoes and ping pong tables...kid friendly...

Guest Team CBX2

We had a Company Picnic two weeks ago in Scottsdale and it was way too hot. I vote for somewhere with margarita's and misters. How 'bout Chuy's on Baseline & McClintock? Let's cater to the East Valley Cachers this time.

Team CBX2

Cody & Cheryl

Guest Cache Bandits

A get-together sounds great, but The Cache Bandits are wimps when it comes to heat.

Our vote is for inside or misters. CBX2's idea at Chuy's works for us. Any location.

But whatever is decided, count us in.

The Cache Bandits

Jaci, Kevin, Brandon, Travis

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Team CBX2:

... How 'bout Chuy's on Baseline & McClintock? ...

What type of facilities do they have? Do they have a large outdoor patio with misters? I think anyplace indoors is going to be a real problem setting up with an UNKNOWN number of attendees. Plus, with an outdoor patio it's easier to move around and mingle.

Guest Team CBX2

It's one of the larger Chuy's. There is quite a bit of seating inside. Outside is covered with windows opening North out onto Baseline Rd. No direct sun. The managers name is Sheila. I'm sure that she would let us reserve as many tables as we need. Monday's are Margarita Monday's with $8 pitchers. How many people are we possibly looking at?

Cody

Guest bob_renner

quote:
Originally posted by Team CBX2:

... How many people are we possibly looking at?

Cody

At the first one there were 20-25 people, with several kids. No telling how many might show up this time. It may depend upon what night of the week we schedule.

Bob

[This message has been edited by bob_renner (edited 31 May 2001).]

Guest pat-in-az

hello gang, this is "team lake havasu" ("red rocks cache") from the "west coast" of az. on the colorado river. please dont change any plans because of us, but if there were any chance of us at all attending, it would need to be on a saturday. thx, and hope it will work out for everyone.

wendy and patrcick

Guest Team Langner

We would be happy to meet anywhere including Chuy's. But, just to throw it out there, Pinnacle Peak Patio has basically unlimited seating and is wonderful in the evening this time of year.

Team Langner

Guest bob_renner

It looks like the prevailing concensus is to have a get-together at Chuy's, either indoors or on the patio. And it's only fair to have it in the east valley this time. Maybe once the temps cool down we can have a picnic at a local park.

Cody and Cheryl (CBX2). Could you get the coordinates for Chuy's and email them to me. I'll generate a cache page (unless you want to do that - let me know).

Now we have to determine the date. The Monday Margaritas sound good except for the Tuesday morning problem. A weekend might be better. What specials, if any, do they have on Saturdays? I'm busy for most weekends until July 7. I think we want to give everyone plenty of time to make plans, or at least to not conflict with plans already made.

Any other comments/suggestions everyone???

Bob

ps. Did anyone notice how fast AZMark jumped on my latest cache? Posted at 8am, found at 2pm.

Guest Team CBX2

Bob, Chuy's is located at (N33° 22.690 / W111° 54.352). Feel free to go ahead and post this. I think a Saturday would be best. I'll check with Sheila and see if we can get the $8 margs and make some preparations as soon as we have a date.

Thx,

Cody & Cheryl

Team CBX2

Guest bob_renner

Cody & Cheryl,

Let's plan on July 7 at 5pm. I'll wait a couple of days before posting a cache page to see if we have any major objections. There will be some who already have plans for that date, but it's far enough out that hopfully not too many do. Can't please everybody all the time.

Bob

Guest pat-in-az

"team lake havasu" is making plans to attend. we would appreciate suggestions for a motel nearby. we are from a small town here, and arent used to "city traffic" lol we are

looking forward to meeting all who can attend if our plans work out. wendy, and patrick

------------------

Guest bob_renner

pat-in-az,

Glad to hear you'll be attending. I'm not real familiar with the hotels in the area, but my MS Street & Trips lists 89 hotels/motels within a 5 mile radius of the location. And there are more the further out I go. Unfortunately, it won't let me directly print out a listing of them all. If you could provide a preference to distance and type of accomodations you want, I could check out what is available.

Bob

Guest Silverpaw

Hi everyone! My husband and I hunted and found our first cache this weekend! What a great new hobby we have, what a blast!! We definately want to come to the next gathering. How about up North? We'll be there!

---Team Silverpaw

Guest Team TJ

Is there going to be a post put on here regarding the Persied Meteor Shower Campout and Geocaching GTG?

------------------

Team TJ - Yellow Jeep, Dakota the dog, and The Fleigles

Guest Dobre

The Monastery Bar just N of 28th Street and Indian School would be a good place. You can have any event there, its an outside/inside bar with plenty of shade, volleyball, pool, and you cook the food. As for a picnic, its tooooo hot!

BTW I just placed a new urban cache today in a real nice place, it will be up soon.