What's this Poison Oak?

The Hornet

Hi, I shall be visiting California next week for a spot of Geocaching and have been checking out some cache pages. I've seen various references to Poison Oak.

Now as I live in England I've never come across this stuff, indeed until today I'd never heard of it. I looked it up in Google and from the web sites I've seen it looks pretty nasty stuff!

What I'd like is some guidance from you guys who know all about it. Is it REALLY that bad? Is it very widespread? What should I do if I come across it? Will I find it a problem on my visit? etc. etc.

Please help this UK geocacher who doesn't want to spoil his visit icon_smile.gificon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

It is better to regret something you did, rather than to regret something you didn't do.

I find that I am very allergic to it (like go to the hospital because I can't breathe allergic to it). You can get a product at almost any drugstore called "tecnu". If you think you might have been in it you just wash yourself with this stuff and it will most often prevent a reaction... if you put it on to late and you are already reacting it makes it much less a problem.

I wouldn't let poison oak bother you to much. Even with the severity of my reactions I will still walk through it to get to a cache. And most people do not react as badly as I do. So have fun on your trip!!!

Enyo

Its easy to avoid. It is a vine and is easy to identify. There are other vines here that look a bit like it but aren't.

Somethng to remember is that one can make contact with Poison Oak by petting a dog or cat that has the oil on its fur.

I have gotten it so many time I dont get it anymore, but I recommend avoidance. Have Fun and welcome to California!!

Cheers

Montythemule

"Vince Malum Patientia"

The good news is that if you've never got it, you probably won't get it after the first couple of exposures. The rash isn't caused by the oil urushiol contacting you, but your immune system reaction to it.

Prevention is the best treatment. If you've been in a poison oak area, wash with Tecnu immediately afterwards and rinse well.

There's lots of infprmation on it on the internet. Do a google search and look at the pictures so that you'll know it when you see it. "leaflets three, let it be"

Don't obsess about it though, it's around here but it doesn't keep us out of the woods.

Enjoy your trip.

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.